FIE Congress - Discussion

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Craig, Nov 27, 2013.

1. PeterGustafsson

PeterGustafsson Rookie

You think so. I agree.

But that is beside the point.

It is no problem at all for a governing body to make a rule that does not make that distinction, should the governing body wish to do so and is prepared to deal with blowback from US. political bodies.

One can argue that US. athletes are relatively immune to such payback due to the power of USA.

But that is not the case for smaller countries.

Witness Israel. Despite getting all sorts of political help from USA in many fields, Israel has never managed to become the host of a big International Sports competition. Numerous governing sports bodies have chosen to go along with the wishes of countries that hate Israel, rather than deal with blowback from the latter. Lots of countries that are not boycotting Israel themselves would never consider spending any political capital on the anti-Israeli sports boycott. Most countries in the World think that that issue is quite simply Israel's problem, and their alone.

US-based TV companies are a huge source of income to the Olympic organization, but those TV companies have not successfully pressured the Olympics to punish anti-Israeli boycotters. If those companies, which have a pressure point and can be assumed to have a US-centered world view have not managed to break the boycott - then who has both the means and inclination?

Considering that Israel actually has some power in international politics, how would a truly small country deal with it if a governing body were out to stick it to them?

PeterG

2. hello?

hello? Podium

The truth is that the whole Iranian federation should be banned from competing because by refusing to fence the Israelis they go against the spirit of sportsmanship (against much more, but sticking to sportsmanship here). Why is their federation (not the athletes, in this case) even being allowed to participate at the FIE Congress? It's not unprecedented to punish a country for discrimination. South Africa was banned from the Olympics during Apartheid. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/18/newsid_3547000/3547872.stm

On another note, I am in favor of anything that changes the non-combativity nonsense rule.

3. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Any chance we can have the Iranian (et al.) - Israeli discussion moved to its own thread, leaving this one for things actually on the FIE Congress agenda?

B

4. esgrima

esgrima Made the Cut

IMHO, that's a bad idea especially in light of the footwork of some of the up and coming saber fencers. Although he loses the touch take a look at his footwork on this attack starts at 3:19. It's as if he crosses but scissor like, nevertheless his back heel has still passed his front one and under this new proposal he would be carded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlNJCi3pChc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUjC3skzqXCykT08GLiTcKyg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. PeterGustafsson

PeterGustafsson Rookie

My fault for responding.

That said, I feel that there just is no pleasing with some people. (is that correct, or have I mashed up the idiom?) I go through a 170-page document to find the juicy bits, and *that* tangent is what gets people going? :exasperated smilie:

That off my chest, I hereby motion to the moderators that those posts should be moved from this thread and put in a new thread of their own.

PeterG

6. edew

edew Podium

I think that may now occur with the new Iranian administration.

7. edew

edew Podium

All countries should have a max number of proposals to offer. If that's the case, this one was wasted big time.

8. NipperDad

NipperDad Made the Cut

But in return they get to host Senior Wolds two years in a row.

9. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

So did the US forget to put enough stamps on its bid to host 2014 Senior Worlds in San Francisco?

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Probably they forgot to send enough expat Russian delegates to lobby Usmanov.

11. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 is a Verified Fencing Expertbigdawg2121 Podium

I was under the impression that our bid is for San Francisco and it will be voted on during these congress proceedings.

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Given that Russia got awarded 2014 AND 2015....

I'd like to hear the rationale for awarding the same country 2 years in a row.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

The official announcement/press release/ whatever says that only 2 cities were submitted for consideration. SF was not one of them.

14. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Yes, the official statement says only Russia submitted a bid... Apparently we forgot to submit our bid.

15. Allex

Allex DE Bracket

AFAIK SF bid was approved by USOC (which would pay part of the broadcast costs) and sent in timely manner.
    It is indeed a puzzle the only answer for which I could surmise is the withdrawal of promised funds by the FIE. Eagerly awaiting delegates' answers upon their return next week.
    Personally - I'm OK with us not getting it, as the organization is still not out of fiscal woods - well on the way, but not where we need to be, and the new World Cup schedule can have a negative effect on the next calendar year's bottom line.
    Yet the "only cities" babaloney is puzzling and a bit troubling.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

How far away are we??

17. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I heard chatter that the bid was late, but these sort of things will need to be figured out by the Board. I agree that we aren't really in a position to host and need to get things operating better first.

18. rudd

rudd Podium

Some updates: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fencing/comments/1rq1zu/confirmed_fie_rule_changes/

I'll be interested to see how the changes to beat/parry will affect decisions. Today the action is always given to the attacker. Attague au fe, tout le jour, but this will probably change now.

I'm also interested to see the outcome of the study on the reduced time. I'm personally not in favour.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  19. BaronArtz

BaronArtz Made the Cut

No, USFA doesn't have the money to submit a credible bid. Nor does it have the money to underwrite the expenses of a tournament like this. Anybody reviewing a potential USFA bid would start laughing hysterically when looking at the financial statements. It's that simple.

20. Allex

Allex DE Bracket

Are you aware of the conditions provided for the bid by the host city and FIE ?