Fencing uniform

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by mansion, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mansion

mansion Rookie

I just wondering to get my new set of 800nw uniform.

I would like to get the lightest uniform becuase I really hate the Allstar Startex in my club as they are very heavy.
    Is there any uniform is lightes then Startex?

And may I how will you rate the following brand (uniform)?

Leon Paul,PBT,Negrini,Cartel,(The brand name start with letter G,and italian company,I forgot what its name)
    Can you guys help me the rank them like this example:

E.G.
    LP>PBT>Negrini>Cartel>G what
    best------------->------------>worst

Thank lots!

2. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

There is a great deal of subjectivity in ranking fencing uniforms. Each manufacturer may produce several different lines of 800nw uniform, and the cut of the uniform is somewhat different for each manufacturer, so it is difficult to make generalizations. If possible, you should try on uniforms from several manufacturers to see which fits you best. I myself use Leon Paul, and the quality is excellent.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I have felt all of those brands and I own Cartel, PbT, and Leon Paul Team clothing.

The Cartel is the lightest and thinnest material of all of them. The PbT SuperLight is very comfortable. The Leon Paul and Negrini are the best made, but they are both thicker and heavier. The Carmimari (I think this is the Italian brand you are asking about) is thicker than Cartel or PbT SuperLight, but thinner than Leon Paul or Negrini. It looks well made, but I don't know anyone who has had it long enough to know.

4. piste off

piste off Podium

I have a friend who uses Carmimari and loves it, even compared to his old Negrini. They are well made.

I find Negrini to be awesome, but prefer it without the lining. Actually, I prefer any jacket without the lining. Without it, it is a very small bit thicker than Cartel (which is the lightest), but way better made.

I'm pretty sure Carmimari has a lining (very thin, though... not the "thin towel" like one of Negrini) and that is a deal breaker for me. I can get Negrini to make one without, but Carmimari is much harder to deal with.

5. mansion

mansion Rookie

Thanks!!

And if i really want a lightweight and comfortable uniform,which one I should deal with?
    I am from HK and it's impossible for me to try on all brand.I tried Startex and Negrini,Negrini feel like lighter then Startex.
    My brother own LP London Range,but I think the WICKING LINING is horrible.
    So from PBT super light and Negrini which one I should deal with???
    (No one in HK tried Cartel and I only saw few wear Carmimari,so at the moment I will not think about these two brand)

THANKS!!!
    P.S. oh yes it's CARMIMARI thanks Dangermouse!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. masker

masker Made the Cut

Just to piggyback on this thread a little (wheee!), any idea how these brands compare to the FWF 800n? I've been using this for a while and I'd call it really light, but that's only relative to the (heavy) Leon Pauls, Negrinis, and Uhlmanns I've had experience with before this.

I'm especially curious to hear more about the PbT Superlight.

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I've had my PbT Superlight since the time FWF was still making gear for Uhlmann. I think PbT has changed the uniform since then and I have not felt the FWF.