Fencing taken away from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ifencegud, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

APR 2019 Thomas Bach, president of the IOC, has announced the unfortunate removal of the sport of Olympic fencing from all post-2020 Olympics, citing a lack of "watchability and engagement." No fencing events will be held at any Games in the future until further notice.

FIE president Alisher Usmanov has not responded yet.

Just kidding. April Fools everyone!

Don't hate me for my limited intelligence. Not all of us fence epee ;)

Fencing will be taken down, but not our kind...probably this[​IMG]

(It's probably already been taken down. It was like 3 years ago, let's be honest.)

FINE! You want an actual post? Okay then. Please don't prosecute me.
    Question I've been wondering for a while: why do the US mens' epee fencers look so...i don't know, ok, bluntly, kinda....unconventional when they're bouncing around? Most other nations kinda look like this

[​IMG]

and then the US looks like this

[pic of seth kelsey doing his thing]

????

--i

2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

That's a foil fencer.

iktovian likes this.
  3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Er...you know it's March 31st, right?

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And not a US one....Italian, I think. There's a Kappa logo above the leg graphic, and they're one of the sponsors of the FIS.

5. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

Don't know how the "[/QUOTE]" thing works.

"That's a foil fencer" who maybe kind of resembles the classical epee en garde. I am feckless and it's remarkably inconvenient to try to find non-action shots with a web search (YouTube, whaaaat, no way).

"March 31" in your timezone, I'm away in another hemisphere....(*mutters something that might sound like "classic 'muricans" while adjusting US flag cap*).

6. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

What I meant about American fencers is this.

upload_2019-3-31_21-52-50.png

Yes, they have some success. But why do they always look like that?

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Only Kelsey looks like that. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has produced Milanoli, Jung, Srecki, Minobe... you really want to make the case that they're all normal and we're all weird?

8. StupidPeopleTrick

StupidPeopleTrick Made the Cut

It has been 1 April in New Zealand (you know... where electric fence----ing was invented) for over 16 hours now... so it depends on your timezone.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

There's a phrase....if it's stupid but it works, it isn't really stupid.

10. iktovian

iktovian Made the Cut

Curtis McDowald and James Kaull both look pretty unconventional to me, but in very different ways. I haven't seen either of them fence in person but I'm willing to hazard a guess that their respective styles have a lot to do with one of them being really fast, and the other one not so much. Neither of them look at all like Seth Kelsey though.

11. piste off

piste off Podium

Only Seth looks like Seth. But if you want to better understand epee, and it seems like you could use that, take a look at what he is doing rather than his fencing from a stylistic standpoint. There is a lot to learn from him.

DangerMouse and K O'N like this.
  12. Malicia

Malicia Made the Cut

I have said in an other thread, it's a scandal that foil referees break official rules (see How some foil referees break rules).
    So, I think that IOC should remove foil from olympics, until this cheating stops.

13. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Because the game isn't being played the way you want, everyone else shouldn't play it?
    No. You don't like it, you find another game.

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Dude....you've been losing your argument all week, getting shot down like the Japanese at the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot. You might think about quitting while you're behind, because you sure aren't ahead.

15. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

This isn't a thread about fencing advice, it's my question about why American epee fencers look the way they do on the strip.

Seth Kelsey,
    [​IMG]

but to a lesser extent,
    Jason Pryor
    upload_2019-4-1_15-22-25.png

and maybe even C/K Hurley.
    upload_2019-4-1_15-26-44.png

. Front foot turned sharply inwards, hand above elbow even if tip is pointing straight, front leg less bent etc.

I would like to hear some theories behind this? Any benefits it has over the classic en garde? Could it be club, coach, team, whatever? Maybe they all have a pact to bounce with only their legs and keep the upper body as stationary as possible?

Attached Files:

16. K O'N

K O'N Podium

The foil guy you posted above has his hand above his elbow, so I'm not sure what you mean about that. In epee I'd say that's the standard guard, but many fencers fence in an 8 invito with the tip down. That certainly isn't weird.

The toe turned in isn't very important IMO. It's something classicalists make a big fuss out of, but lots of fencers do it. Two seconds googling turned up Boisse fencing Kelsey with both of them turning the front foot in. Nisima turned her front foot in. I actually asked Bob Hurley about it once and he said "We don't care about that." I suppose it might help a bit against a foot touch.

17. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

the front foot turned far in is pretty interesting. My pet theory is that since it mimics a normal sideways shuffle, it's a bit more natural so it lets them be a bit more precise. I don't have anything to actually back that up at all though.

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And that phrase...is stupid. ;)

( Example: Every so often Trump actually does something which works. Nevertheless, he' still stupid. :) )

19. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

The foil fencer’s hand isn’t too important, as he is fencing foil. Again, we are mostly looking at the general stance; if my laziness is too much to bear, please refer to other pics. Note I said “even if the tip is pointing straight,” as one might assume to be straight forwards in epee. Sorry for the confusion.

The front foot turning in isn’t too big of a deal, I agree, but I mention it as part of the description because why not. Sue me. I do it too sometimes. The theory about shuffling is interesting, though. The Americans do look more sideways than the others.

Nobody has addressed why the Americans are so different? I think people are trying to show how the Americans are similar to everyone else. I also think that they do, in fact, look different. For instance, bouncing looks more like leg repositioning with the torso in a more stiff position, while other fencers seem to let the upper body flow more with the legwork.

I haven’t once said the Americans are ugly! Maybe it was implied haha. Not shaming them or anyhing, because it looks like it works, but I want to know why!

(They do look different, right? Not just me?)

20. Adrienne

Adrienne Rookie

The sad part is I could very easily see this post being true.