Fencing Shoes

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by GalmONE, Oct 24, 2018.

1. GalmONE

GalmONE Rookie

Hi There!

I am a new fencer from San Jose California. What would you more experienced fencers recommend for shoes?

(Also, why are fencing shoes so low on stock?)

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

The ones recommended here, or here, or here, or here, or here. But that's only after a two-year limited search.

3. Zebra

Zebra Podium

As Mac said, lots of reviews elsewhere on the site. The one thing I'll note is that you should pay attention to matching the grippiness of your shoes to the surface(s) you will be fencing on. If the surface is slippery like a glossy gym floor, you need shoes that will grip more. If you're on a cheesegrater, some shoes may grip too much and mess with your footwork (like the weekend I got my skates sharpened and then had my first game on a rink with very soft ice). I keep my old fencing shoes with the worn-down soles to use instead of my regular shoes when I fence on cheesegraters.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

Fencing shoes are a pretty low-volume item by the standards of athletic shoes, so they are relatively pricey compared to many other types of shoes and will usually only be found in significant stock by ordering from major fencing equipment vendors (and even then, the stock of sizes may be low if the manufacturer is in the process of a change-over to a new model). General-purpose court shoes like the Asics Gel Rocket are a good lower-cost alternative that can be more readily found and at a greater variety of sizes.

5. CBS

CBS Rookie

Lots of fencers look to other court sports shoes, such as tennis or badminton (as #neevel mentions). For most people it seems a bit of trial and error to find the right shoe but given the cost and limitations of fencing shoes, it will be easier for you in the long run if you can find a decent court shoe to work.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

?o_O

7. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Check out volleyball shoes.

Nakita likes this.
  8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Make sure they are non-marking. Some court shoes are (still) marking.

9. AndI

AndI Rookie

GalmOne, Leon Paul has Hi-Tec Blades II fencing shoes on sale for $36 (down from $109), in a variety of sizes. I got them for my son and he loves them - to the point that we ordered 3 more pairs in different sizes for him to grow into. He finds they work better on a metal strip than his Nike Air Zoom Vapor tennis shoes. Their longevity will require a test of time to determine. This might not be the most popular brand of fencing shoes, but it is a fencing shoe, with LP name on it. This implies they should be quite decent.

My son found that the sizing of these fencing shoes is similar to that of Nike tennis shoes, i.e., a tad smaller than most street shoes of nominally the same size.

https://www.leonpaulusa.com/hi-tec-blades-ii.html

Pricing on Leon Paul UK and on Leon Paul USA sites is identical, if you convert GBP to USD. When ordering through Leon Paul USA, LP applies VAT to the cost of global priority shipping. If the cost of shipping of one pair of shoes is higher than $20, consider adding something else that you may want. The idea is that if the cost of the order gets higher (and VAT gets higher as well), shipping might actually get cheaper. This is my guess, all my orders were $150+ and shipping was between $20 and $30 even for a large fencing bag.

The only possible downside is that returning them, if they do not fit, could be an involved process. Sending them back to UK would be insanely expensive, more than their cost, but there may be an option of returning them to LP USA office.
    All orders are dispatched from UK and payments are processed in UK, even if placed through LP USA. Use a credit card which does not have foreign transaction fees.

10. CBS

CBS Rookie

I meant the limited availability and range, both of types and price levels of fencing shoes. If you find ones that work well, then by all means use a fencing shoe!

11. Finnegan79

Finnegan79 Rookie

I use babolat court shoes. very grippy on a gym/sportcourt floor.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.