Fencing Season

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by HOT Fencing Club, Jan 14, 2010.

1. HOT Fencing Club

HOT Fencing Club Rookie

Before anyone points out that I could use the Search feature of f.net, let me just say I've tried it time and again and it doesn't work very, er, well. :) Thank you.

Fencing season- is there such a thing? I understand the USFA membership is renewed in August, and that the Summer Nationals are the end of a season, but is that it?

I mean, we have competitions all year. Is there an official "season" as in other sports?

Thanks!

2. seven6ty

seven6ty Rookie

Well, the USFA and your local division calendars are a great place to start. But no, no "official" season. But, summer is pretty much dead. Hope that helps!

3. JacoKierkegaard

JacoKierkegaard Rookie

Yeah, summer's pretty much considered the off-season. No competitions to speak of, and the club in my hometown even stops holding practices.

I don't like summer.

4. HOT Fencing Club

HOT Fencing Club Rookie

I, too, hate Summer Breaks, and all breaks in fact, since I love fencing and that is how I like to spend any free time.

(HOT Fencing is hosting a competition in August, btw, so there's *one* to speak of. TAAF Summer Games of Texas.)

Thanks for the help! The "there's no official season" answer is what I was looking for.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

In the Southern California region the official competitive seasons start early September, with local comps finished by late April/early May (depending on the division)...July is Summer Nationals...so we DO have an official of-fseason in the US...a SHORT one, tho.

The FIE calendar runs across the US one..so worldwide, it never really stops.

6. MyrddinsPrecint

MyrddinsPrecint Podium

The NCAA does have an official season, and what those athletes are allowed to do at school with their school coach is controled by the on or off season.

7. Wetmelon

Wetmelon Made the Cut

I know that we have official at-school fencing from Sept - Feb, then we go to a city club run by the same coaches for the rest of the year.

8. HOT Fencing Club

HOT Fencing Club Rookie

Okay, so it sounds like it varies by region?

9. KidLazy

KidLazy Rookie

If the revised national schedule had went into effect now, then my current season would have ended last month and won't start again until the end of fall 2010. :/

10. Guided by Wire

Guided by Wire Made the Cut

This thread seems like a good place to ask: Can someone briefly reiterate the logic of having Junior and Cadet seasons unaligned with both the USFA membership season and all the other age categories? I can't remember the original explanation I read or heard. Is it because JOs are considered the end/championships?

11. hello?

hello? Podium

I seem to recall that that was the given reason -- even though JOs have never been a true "championship" since so many of the top fencers don't even bother going. Perhaps this is an attempt to force them to take it seriously.

12. fdad

fdad Podium

The Junior and Cadet World Championships are usually in March/April timeframe. After that it doesn't make sense to have points events that include fencers that will age out of Cadet or Junior before next year's World Championship.

13. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Think bigger.

It starts at the international level, where Juniors, Seniors and Veterans all have their own season.

It carries down through the national level, where some groups (Div 1 and Junior) may try to align themselves with the international season while others tend to align their season with the membership year, building to a climax at Summer Nationals (although at one time I believe the Y10 and Y12 seasons climaxed at JO's - in fact that may have once been their ONLY national event).

Section and Division level seasons also tend to align themselves to the USFA membership year, with local events usually starting in the Fall, but some starting as early as August (in many divisions it's simply a question of who's ready and willing to host an event), followed by JO qualifiers in the late Fall or early Winter, Division and Section qualifiers for Summer Nationals in the late Winter or Spring (bear in mind that the only tournaments divisions and sections are required to hold are those qualifiers). Summer Nationals is the culmination of their season.

Then just to make things even more complicated there are a number of different academic conferences, many of which have their own seasons. The NCAA classifies fencing as a "winter sport" so varsity collegiate teams are strictly regimented, with a season that starts in November and ends in March at the NCAA Championship (and there are limits on what varsity fencers can do outside of NCAA events during that time). Other collegiate and high school leagues tend to make up their own schedules however most are aligned with the academic year so their season usually end sometime in the Spring, before school lets out for the Summer.

14. HOT Fencing Club

HOT Fencing Club Rookie

Head spinning, I reply, "Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer." :) You get rep.

15. edew

edew Podium

The fencing season is much like the tennis and golf season: 24/7/365.

16. HOT Fencing Club

HOT Fencing Club Rookie

Awesome. As it should be.