Fencing ratings

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by gillaspy, Apr 1, 2007.

1. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I love people who claim computers can solve everything. There is an acronym GIGO that is appropriate to your argument. Because of a wrong rating they face different opponents in different pools getting different results. This is compounded if they do another tournament with their rating not updated. This numeric ratings argument was that it would be accurate. They can't keep the current simple ratings up to date, how can they keep this new ratings accurate.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Fencers' *classifications* aren't official until they appear in the national database, and one day that will happen upon the final's final touch scored, but until then...The flip side of reporting/recording lag, as Dan wrote, is overqualified fencers competing in lower-rated events.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Not even then. Division and/or National will still have to verify that fencer memberships, referee qualifications, and other sanctioning requirements are met before the classifications can be made official. Two or three days won't kill you.
    Furthermore, the classification doesn't make the fencer better or "overqualified": the fencer gains skill first and then gets the classification. Classification is a lagging indicator.

jdude97 likes this.
  4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Check-in fencers' and refs' credential verification.// Better stated: over-classified WRT event's restriction.

5. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

I didn't mean to imply it wouldn't affect who would fence who in a given tournament. As someone else said, that already happens with the current system because classifications lag. When you consider the number of duplicate ratings that exist now that are resolved by random choice, or even selections resolved by national points that only get updated after infrequent tournaments, it is hard to how a numeric rating with a lag would be worse from the point of view of seeding tournaments. All that the computers are doing is make it easy to recalculate all the ratings based on the results afterward.

6. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

TBH I don't think it's the worst thing to occasionally necromance old threads like this when they were involved and on a still relevant topic even if the cause was a spambot. It's nice for a new (newer -- it's actually kinda crazy how long I've been here) member to see what people were saying before I joined and see some old names not seen for awhile (I forgot about Peter G!).

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Sometimes I think that the bots are the only thing keeping the discussions alive here.

jdude97 likes this.