Fencing Glove from Japan

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by olandrea, Apr 20, 2017.

1. olandrea

olandrea Made the Cut

2. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Other than the color, is there a difference between the Master glove and the Series 1 glove?

3. amw5gster

amw5gster Rookie

Any more info on this glove from users? I'm in the market for a new one, and would consider it if it holds up under real use.

4. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

The only way to find out the questions that are being asked about this glove: Difference between this glove or that one, and does it hold up,
    Option 1: buy one and find out
    Option 2: go to an FIE event, see if any Japanese fencer's are using it and if they are, ask them.

I get 1 to 3 emails a day from glove companies all around the world that want to get into our sport of fencing. Why? Because they are a glove company and want to make gloves. This is one glove among 1000's.

Watched the video of the young lady making the glove. Noticed on the fingers and base, she had 3 or 4 run-offs on one end. Not good. Hand made gloves (meaning not computer made) are the highest quality gloves you can get if: the maker knows what they are doing. Kind of like a hand made suit.

I am going to answer the next question that is coming: what is a run-off, when a seam is not locked down on a glove, this makes it the weakest point of the seam. You would know it as if: why did that seam on my finger just open up???? Its a simple process, just use the reverse button on a sewing machine. This locks it down. Watch the video. Click here

Now - please note: I am not putting down the glove. In fact, it is a appears to be a well made glove for the use it is intended for. At 79 euro, its a little pricey for me to retail. To order them, pay for shipping from Japan, pay a broker, pay import fees, then add a profit, most fencer's would look at me and ask: How much are they? Really?? That much? Does anyone remember that Summer Nationals we had were there was some company selling specialized gloves? That kind of pricing. They were nice, but very expensive.

5. meokanako

meokanako Rookie

I might be wrong but I think Minobe wears the Classic variant in Budapest 2017.