Fencers hand signals

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Fancyfeet, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Fancyfeet

Fancyfeet Rookie

In sabre, sometimes after the call is given, the fencer who was not given the point gestures to the ref, making a square with there hands.
    What are they asking the ref?

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

3. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

They are asking for the video review because they disagree with some aspect of the call. To my knowledge the fencer also has to explain to the ref what they think the call should be, not just "look again", but I could be wrong on that.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

They ( *cough* Italians :) ) do sometimes explain what they think in their own minds that the ref should heve seen, but it is not required and often they don't do it. They do simply want him to "look again"; I guess they think that on video particularly at half speed the ref will just be able to see what they think happened.

5. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Wow, goes to show how common that level of theatrics is if I thought it was part of the actual appeal process. Thanks for the clarification!

6. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Generally if it’s a question of right of way the fencer is hoping it’ll be clear in slow mo. But if there’s an obvious RoW call accompanied by a less obvious minor infraction (like off the strip before the touch, use of the non weapon arm, turning), the referee may not think to look for that unless specifically asked. But the referee should consider all parts of the touch on review, not just those specifically itemized by the fencer. And that includes possible infractions made by the person asking for the review. I’ve seen someone ask for a review on a simul only to have the touch go the other way — at least they get to keep their challenge!

Inquartata likes this.
  7. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

I really like the fencing replay system. The ref just makes a new call based on the replay, and can change whatever they want. It's the fairest way to do it.

By comparison, in volleyball you have to challenge something specific. So if you think there was a net fault, and also that the ref called the ball out when it was in, you can only try to get one of those changed. In football, you can't challenge a non-call. The replay system is definitely one of the things the FIE got right.

8. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium