Fencer Excluded

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by DLEE, Mar 18, 2019.

1. DLEE

DLEE Made the Cut

I see in the results for the Anaheim SJCC Junior Women's event that the number three fencer was excluded. Does anyone know what happened?

2. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

There's a picture of the awards ceremony circulating on facebook with the bronze medalist holding up her middle finger during the photo session with the medalists standing together after the medals were awarded. But that was the Grand Prix and the results don't show anyone excluded.

3. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I'm currently looking at the junior women's epee final results and no one is listed as excluded.

4. DLEE

DLEE Made the Cut

Sorry, forgot to say Junior Women's saber.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

He's talking about the SJCC that was held concurrently....one of the 3rd Jr WS WAS excluded.

She started out as the 13th seed in the 128. Pretty dominant in pools (5w 1 L +11 indicator). DE wins were not really close.

She was facing the #1 seed when excluded...my guess is she was getting pounded and threw her mask.

6. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Verbal abuse of a referee. Warned, chose to continue. Card upheld.

7. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

FFS she wasn’t giving the finger, she was awkwardly holding a bunch of swag.

Privateer likes this.
  8. DLEE

DLEE Made the Cut

Do you know what kind of verbal abuse? Something more than disagreeing with a call?

9. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Questioning competency, professionalism, that sort of thing.

Privateer likes this.
  10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah...Jessi isn't gonna stand for that behavior.

To come all the way from New England, make it to semis, and then screw the pooch....that's an expensive foul up, especially since that seems to be the only event she fenced in.

ReadyFence likes this.
  11. DLEE

DLEE Made the Cut

Thanks.
    Was the bout over or was she excluded during the bout? Coach couldn't do anything?

12. Jvanhousen

Jvanhousen DE Bracket

Ha! I went downstairs at the GP break to watch some juniors. First thing I hear is a coach SCREAMING!: "You are an IDIOT!!! WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING HERE?!!! FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO!!! BLAH BLAH ..." at the 20 something ref who immediately reached into his coat pocket and produced...a pencil so he could record the bout score.

ReadyFence and HalfBlue like this.
  13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

'Course, if it had been Ed Richards, the interior pocket would've had his black card.

14. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Ed would have turned his hearing aid down anyway.

VorpalCat, wwittman and neevel like this.
  15. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Huh missed that one. There were some interesting events this weekend. There was another fencer that was told that he needed to continue the bout after both of his weapons failed so not to be black carded for refusal of a fencer to fence another competitor . I know another black card was given but not upheld in junior men's saber but no clue on what the reason was.
    The broken blade in the ceiling was the most entertaining I think.
    The one I was most confused about was a girl made it to the final bout but had to leave on a flight back to the east coast so failed to report. That seems like a good reason to change your flight personally. Especially if you flew from the east coast to compete.

16. NipperDad

NipperDad Made the Cut

We saw one that probably should have been given in JMF. DE bout was close, with one fencer pulling away a bit in the last 90 seconds or so. There had been some iffy calls in both directions, loser is really steamed. (Letting time run out at ~13-14 b/c he thought it was the second period didn't help.) He mad a couple of derogatory statements about the reffing from his end of the strip that were audible at least half-way down, then "signed" the slip by jamming the pencil point into the paper, and finished by turning his back on the ref's outstretched hand. Not the classiest way to go.

17. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I wait for the fencer's hand, to avoid this.

18. doublegeetx

doublegeetx Rookie

The Max 8 grounding caused a lot of panic among fencers (parents). I know several people who got bumped even if they were originally booked on a non Max 8 flight. Given the weighted value of points at the tournament, maybe they figured it wasn't worth the risk. Just a guess.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  19. CluelessFencingMom

CluelessFencingMom Rookie

My daughter competed in the junior women's saber event in Anaheim but we left before the semi-finals when the black card was issued. Several fencers who would have earned higher ratings did not because the classification dropped from A4 to A3 when the fencer was excluded. If the fencer competed in the all the pools and DEs through to the end why penalize other competitors for her bad conduct? Doesn't seem fair.

jdude97 likes this.
  20. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

It’s not about fairness, it’s about holding fencers accountable.