Favero-Stop

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by EldRick, Sep 18, 2018.

1. EldRick

EldRick Podium

NWFC's expansion is using Favero floor reels, rather than overheads; the medium pizza-box type.

As we all know, even though these things weigh 10 lbs. and have decent rubber feet, they walk. People kick them, they get pulled around by the act of fencing, and for all I know, they scurry about like mice overnight. All I know for sure is that they do not stay where you place them.

Here's my solution. The piece is the same 5mm height as the feet, and constrains lateral motion while allowing instant replacement if a box goes bad during a tournament. The shape is designed to avoid the rivets and screws on the bottom of the box so it sits flat and fully supported.

[​IMG]

One could use a single piece placed across the front of the box, or two pieces along the sides, as shown. If a box is missing a foot, as this one is, two pieces will hold the box level and in place.
    I can make these up if anyone needs them, but will probably wind up posting it online for anyone to use in the future.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  2. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Would love the file. We have two strips at our club that use the Favero Reels instead of overhead ones.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If you have a permanent wooden floor that you can drill in, I've always been an advocate of using rubber bumpers. You put one on each side of the reel. Cheap, simple, and easy to install.
    upload_2018-9-18_17-36-15.png

4. EldRick

EldRick Podium

These are not visible under the reel - a bit tidier for our new facility.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

True enough. However, I don't own a 3D printer setup to make your brackets. A electric drill, screw bit, and the right size screws are all I would need to install the bumpers. It's just a difference of simple versus elegant.

When is the new facility suppose to be open?

6. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. EldRick

EldRick Podium

It occurs to me that these might be useful for a short-term tournament facility, as they would be a lot easier to tape down with gaffer tape than the reels themselves.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  8. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Really need to stop by the next time I am down in Portland. Look really nice.

9. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Stick-on felt floor protectors when the feet break off. As an interim, run the floor cord under the box. Holds. P.S. No beer tap in the ref room?;)

10. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018