Favero Reel spring went !Sprung!

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by erik_blank, Oct 13, 2018.

1. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Well, I had an issue with connectivity on the A line of a Favero reel last night and wanted to share my pain.

I used a multi meter to verify that the conductivity between the floor cord end and the fencer end of the reel was not working.

I had previously been working on three other reels with bad fencer end connectors, so I started with that, and after re-soldering it, I still and noting on the floor cord end. Sooo... Feeling semi-adverterous I ventured into the inards of the reel armed with my not so trusty soldering iron and a copy of the Favero manual I found on line.
    Testing revealed that I had good conductivity between the fencer end and the reel solder points, but it dies between the solder points in the center and the floor cord end. Not good, as I'm sure that most of you all know this meant that I would have to get underneath the aluminum roller.... A quick glance under the roller showed that somehow the wire connecting to the spring pack had broke loose.

Now comes the extra fun part. I had released all the tension on the spring pack and then removed the three nuts that kept the roller connected to the spring pack. I had previously read a number of accounts here that talked about how the upper spring was not covered by a cover, and was trying to be very careful not to disturb the spring as I lifted, but of course the central spring connection decided to lift up with the roller instead of staying in place as it should have done in a perfect world. This is when I heard the first of my least favorite sounds as the spring released form the center of the spring pack.
    At first, I thought that I was able to save myself because i had managed to stop the spring from coming completely out of the container, and was holding the remainder of the spring inside the top of the spring pack with my thumbs. Then I started trying to re-load the spring back into the container manually. - four rotations into the re-packing, the rest of the spring decided to cut loose and wrap around my arm. Have to say here that this is why the whole thing is best left to the professionals... I managed to avoid any injury and was very pleased to find that the spring edges had been cleaned up so that they were not the standard razor sharp edges that I had experienced in some of the older Leon Paul snail cases back in the early 90's (leftovers from our team years at IUP, I suspect that they were originally purchased in the late '70s)..

Now I have the spring wrapped completely around my (thankfully long sleeve covered) arm. I was able to enlis thte assistance of my daughter who was walking by at the time to get it unwrapped a little, but ended up just asking her to back up while I pulled it off and sprang away so that it would finish it's 'Sprung' actions by itself. - what a mess. I managed to get the spring back into a single coil and undid all the slinky tangles so that it looked like a decent coil again before starting to try to re-pack it. Not having much else to go on here, i tried to start re-winding the spring from the outer end side, got about three wraps into it when the spring released around my arm again.

Then I had my inspiration. I re-attached the central part of the spring to the inner end (it still had the brown wire soldered to it, so I had some clue as to how it needed to attach here) and started winding this back up from there using two hands to guide the spring out of the current coil and into the position that the spring needed to be in the spring pack. This allowed me to re-wind the spring into the correct position while preventing it from flying apart as it did when I tried to simply push it into the top of the container. At the end of this process, I was able to wrap the spring in some painters tape so that I could transfer it into the spring pack. Once the outside end of the spring was positioned back into its correct place I was able to then slowly release the tape so that the spring uncoiled itself into the correct position in the top of the spring assembly.

Finally, I was able to re-solder the ribbon cable back onto the spring, and through some miracle, the reel is now working again... I wish that I had taken pictures of this, as I doubt that I will ever want to stick my hands back inside one of these reels for some time.... :)

2. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

I, too, have one experience with rewinding a spring. Once is enough. If I were to calculate the hours spent vs. the cost of a new spring pack, it would come out to pennies per hour... it was fun, though! Haha.

erik_blank likes this.
  3. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Yeah the spring bent when mine went sprung. New pack was way easier. I didn’t know to attach extensions to the wires coming out of the spring pack so spent an hour attempting to get the wires routed through the proper spots on the drum.

erik_blank likes this.
  4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah....the first time Don Clinton and I replaced a spring pack, it took 90 minutes to get the &^#%^%#ing holes aligned and the wires through!

Mergs showed us the extension trick at Portland JOs a few years back....been using it ever since if I have to take the drum off.

5. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Strange, aligning the wires was the least of my problems. The wires were short and stiff, but easy to align without really trying. I guess that I just got very lucky.

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Maintenance sucks. I'm really dreading the first time I have to change the batteries in my EP wireless system... :)

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

May a Leon Paul spring pack suddenly appear and explode in front of you!

8. brtech

brtech Podium

An LP spring pack is surprisingly easy to fix, even if it sprungs. There are no wires, the cans are easy to manipulate, and the only issue you have with them is when the end screwed into the can breaks, and that is very easy to fit with the right tool. It's messy, but easy. Much, much easier than a Favero or Uhlmann spring.

erik_blank likes this.
  9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah....had one go on me a few weeks ago...far easier to get it back in the can than I'd thought.....STILL don't like the idea of doing it, tho.

I don't know WHY the manufacturers don't bother to put a safety strap of some sort across the top so it DOESN'T shoot out.

10. neevel

neevel Armorer

The FWF/old Allstar reels have a cover plate that is secured to the plastic pan of the spring case with screws, which prevents the spring from coming out when the spring case is removed from the reel.

11. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Have had the 'pleasure' of wrestling all three types of springs back into their holding cells! Doable, but NOT fun! Had one armorer chasing a grounding problem on an Uhlmann reel remove all the screws from the spring pack and then realize he didn't know how to take it off. So we let him sit there like the private that pulled the pin on the grenade and lost the pin! Eventually, he moved it wrong and went SPRONG! Lesson in re-installing the spring ensued. :)

erik_blank likes this.