Favero reel not completely rewinding

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by fenceart, Sep 6, 2018.

1. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Had a Favero reel working just fine, then one day, fencer runs back and no cable rewind. I took it apart relieved tension and rewound it to replace tension. Went 9 times, (watched Merg's video) and upon completion, seemed fine. Pulled cable out once, it retracted leaving about 4' at the end. Did I need to wind more than 9 times?? Is there something else that may cause this? Thank you for your help, I'll be able to look at it tomorrow and do whatever anyone suggests.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Favero recommends between 10 and 12 times around....says so on the label on top of the drum.

I usually go 11.... but I also pull the cable all the way out after winding to make sure all 20 meters plays out if needed.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

It depends on the condition of the spring. A brand new spring may only require 9 turns. I repaired a reel this last weekend and it needed a couple of extra turns to get it to work right.

4. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Ok, thanks.... I could have sworn drum said 9-10, but I just didn't want to overdo it. The reel is about 5-6 years old. I did unwind cable all the way. Will do it again, hope that cures what ails it.

5. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

My spidy-senses are tingling here... I would suspect that there is actually something really wrong with the reel. I would expect that it would have rewound after 9 turns, even if it did it very slowly towards the end. I’m thinking that something may be slipping... maybe one of the springs is broken or even folded over onto itself. If the 10-12 windings doesn’t seem to fix the problem, thourougly troubleshoot before messing with the springs....
    Try rewinding the reel and testing it to make sure that it recoils with enough force. Visually inspect it to see if there is an obstruction. Run the cable through your fingers to look for a break, kink, or sticky debris. Pull out the cable and test each of the three lines separately for continuity as you release the cable slowly.
    If the springs are broken, replace the whole pack. Don’t take the pack apart!
    Even though I knew what I was getting into, I took one apart once just for fun... it turned out to provide hours of challenging frustration-filled effort.... but I survived to tell the tale. It is certainly not worth the man-hours!

6. brtech

brtech Podium

Pay Attention! This is important. Yeah, one spring is cheaper than 3. Don't do it!

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The springs are part of the system, so if you have a broken spring, you'll have an open circuit somewhere.

If you DO decide to put on a new spring pack (agree with FFA here), take note of the following.

1) The holes on the circuit board on the drum are NOT spaced equally around.

2) Mark which wire goes to which solder pad on the circuit board.

3) Mark which holes on the board are for the bolts/nuts.

4) A trick Mergs showed us at JOs a few years back. After you desolder the board and remove the drum, solder some extensions onto each wire coming up from the drum...maybe 6 inches minimum. This makes it a TON easier to get the drum back on with the wires in the right place, since they can be used as a guide (stick the extensions through the hole and let the drum follow them into position.) The first time Don Clinton and I tried to do this, it took an hour and a half to get the drum back on because there wasn't a lot of maneuvering room.

5) Note which wire going from the spring pack to the floor cord socket is for what wire...it's NOT lines A to C from top to bottom, and they're not marked.

6) Take your time.

Next time I have to replace a spring, I'll make a vid.

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

The springs are the conductors from the floor cord plug to the cable, so if you have a broken spring you would have one of the lines open.
    Check to make sure that the centrifugal brake isn't stuck in an up or partially-up position, and check to make sure that the drum and/or the case aren't bent or dented so as to scrape together when the drum rotates (a problem that can commonly occur if someone has stepped on the reel).

9. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Wow, okay.... I did check cable the day I unwound it to be sure that it's "clean" . The retraction is good till it dies at the end, and the cable works fine as far as electrically. Purple Fencer's instructions made me want to reach for a beer already. The brake is good too - however, the last bit - the dented case - possibly in a subtle way it could be. After all, there's not enough square footage and one must run their bag over the reel or stand on it. Just looking quickly, it appears to be fine, but a shallow dent - wouldn't take much - could be something to think about. I have visions of this thing opening up like a jack-in-the-box if I mess with the springs, however, it appears that a number of you have lived to tell about it. Okay, tonight I have a bunch to look at. Thanks again....

10. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Yeah When I went to inspect the spring pack the first time I took one of these reels apart it flew apart on me as I had it upside down. Definitely learned what not to do. Just wish it hadn't been the hard way.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The only worry on a Favero spring shooting out (if you don't take the pack apart, of course) is the top spring coming out, since there's no top cover (and I DID suggest that to Favero).

Still, there's less risk of that with a Favero than with an LP. Would it KILL makers to find a way to secure the damn spring??

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Consult with Mergs, BRTech, or DHCJR for the proper brand.

13. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Well, it appears that it just needed more winding. The hint about a possible bend in the cover was a good one, I checked, and it is nice and flat, but that's a good thing to remember. The drum does say 9-10, but I added a few. So far, so good. Gee, I guess I did not need that beer.

ktinoue3 likes this.