Favero power cord issue

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I have a Favero box that has an intermittent power issue.

The box is fine....the issue is with the power cord. There appears to be a partial wire break close to the plug.

That's not a problem....it's an easy repair...except for that round ferrite block around the cable.

I know what it's for ( https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/11/ferrite-bead-tiny-cylinder-power-cords-cable.html ), but there's no way to move it back and give room for a repair....it's very close to the break point.

Is there any way to move it, or is it simply easier to get an entirely new power supply? If it'll work without the ferrite, I can always cut it off and make the repair, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

2. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

You can buy cheap ferrite chokes just about anywhere that sells electronics stuff, including amazon. It's likely you'll be able to replicate the function of the old one with a clamp-on replacement.

3. andy.collins

andy.collins Rookie

I would be very surprised if the ferrite is at all necessary. In fact, I can't recall the last time I saw one on a basic 12V power supply. Unless the unit is running either (a) next to some very sensitive receiver, or (b) in a very RF noisy environment, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Andy

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  4. brtech

brtech Podium

It was probably necessary for the entire unit to meet the emissions tests. Just cut it off.

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

Many of the Favero's I've see have power supplies without the ferrite (it just depends on where Favero was sourcing their power supplies at the time)- it'll be fine if you trim it off. For a lot of electronic devices (particularly from smaller manufacturers, which is what all fencing suppliers are), the selection of the power supply that comes with it boils down to: "We need to restock, who can give us the best deal on something that meets our voltage/current specs?" If a supplier has a stock of them with a ferrite at the right price, then so be it.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Thanks, David....I swore I've seen a few cords without the feerrite, and now I understand why.

7. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Speaking of favero power supplies actually my club has a bunch that have a break in the line near the head just like a body cord would, but Im not sure how to fix them as theyre coax not separate wires. Any chance at a written explaination or a video tutorial?