Favero ARM-01 issue

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, May 30, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Was given an ARM-01 wall-mounted box to look at. The power supply was a cable leading from the posts on the circuit board out...there was no wall plug attached.

Additionally, there are no mountings for the floor cords, so it couldn't be used in any case, but the club owner wanted me to look at it.

It is definitely a box and not a repeater, although he may have been using it AS a repeater (which might explain the lack of cord ports).

The issue is lack of power being applied. All of the circuit traces show continuity, both from the power connection and from the pins where the motherboard connects to the switch plate on the front face of the box.

I don't have a lot of experience with the wall mount versions. He had to move locations to a gym where he cannot mount the box on a wall, so I'm wondering 1) what the issue might be and 2) if it might be solved simply by adding on the back plate that holds the cord ports and regular power supply.

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Power is 12 volt AC or DC, which means you can use a 12-vDC wall-wart (just need to replace the coaxial plug with an XLR 3-pin) or even an old Tripplette power supply (their early models only ran on 12-volt AC).

Also just e-mailed you a copy of the FA-01 owners manual. There's a small section discussing how to connect the wall mounted version.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas here.

Bought a plug to hook the cables to...had continuity, but no response on the box -- would not turn on, not even the blinking target light when it was first plugged in.

I checked continuity on the board on damn near all the circuit traces...good all the way around.

I'm wondering if it might be in the front switch plate, but I don't want to peel it off to check because I don't know if I can re-adhere it. Unfortunately, the circuit traces are covered by a protective plastic, so I can't get my test probes on them and don't really want to try to cut them away to get access.

Any ideas?

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Sam, I think you're out of your league on this one. Probably best to send the unit to Ted Li for repair.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah, I was thinking that when I did the prior post. I've fixed issues with Favero boxes before, but this time I just can't find the prob.

I'll have to ask Ted when he can do the work...he may not have time this close to SN, and I suspect he's heading one of the crews.

The good thing is the box isn't immediately needed...the club had their building sold out from under them and had to move. They can't mount ANY boxes right now, so there's not a rush for this one.

6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Ted will not be one of the head techs for this year's Summer Nationals. He will be be in Bucharest for a SEMI meeting.

I'd suggest contacting Ted as soon as possible just to get in the queue for his time.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

Contact Favero about it. They're responsive to questions (and know English), and may be able to help you with troubleshooting. The also sell replacements for every assembly in the scoring box (including the front keypad):
    https://www.favero.com/en2_spare_parts_-142-53.html

8. St.Meow

St.Meow Made the Cut

Didn't realize they even sell main board replacements. Had a few of those go in some FA-05's after a lightning strike

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Just emailed them with the issue and a link to this thread.

10. neevel

neevel Armorer

When it comes to support for end-user repairs, they're pretty much the diametric opposite of Fencing Technologies (who tend to treat all detailed technical information on SG machines like a deep Masonic secret that must not be revealed to the uninitiated).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ted got back to me (Favero hasn't yet)...thought the board may have been fried somehow and wants me to send it to him to look at.

He's not working SN this year...in Bucharest for an FIE meeting.