FAQ: Toolkit for Equipment Repair

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Craig, May 1, 2003.

?

Was this post useful?

1. Yes

110 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. I have no opinion

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magic_moose

magic_moose Podium

Personally, I always think custom screw drivers are the way to go for any precision work. Got in the habit of this when I was working with old or accurate replica rifles which either had hand cut screw slots or some very odd size no longer commonly made.

For tip screws, I just get the smallest screwdrivers with a nice solid handle at the hardware store. about $2 each. (I hate the twizzling ones in sets, and they usually have crappy steel for the blades)

About 2 minutes work with a fine file produces a very precise fit for whatever screws I'm working with.

2. FordFencing

FordFencing Rookie

Towel. (To work on for catching tip screws and springs which are otherwise prone to bounce away.)

3. dognapper0

dognapper0 Rookie

Instead of a towel, I like to use a magnetic sheet. I found some at a craft store, but I'm sure you can get it online. It's nice because when you're re-assembling the tip, the screws stick to your screwdriver very well, reducing he chance you will drop them. If you do drop them, you have a work bench that actually holds onto them.

4. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Brownell's offers sets of high-quality screwdrivers that must contain every size ever manufactured.

5. brtech

brtech Podium

Because size and weight are important in my kit, I have just three screwdrivers:
    • A tip screwdriver - I use a 1.5mm Wiha
    • A small screwdriver handle with bits - Husky 8 in 1 (Home Depot or Swordmasters). This is what I use for body cord pins, Uhlmann style cord clips, etc
    • A large screwdriver with bits - I use a Craftsman 6 in 1. This is a very sturdy tool with the double ended bits. I keep thinking I'm going to switch to the 1/4" single ended bits, but I haven't yet
    About the only time I consider adding a screwdriver is that Ted Li carries this medium sized slot driver that is EXACTLY the right size for the body cord shell screws. Whenever I use it, I admire how well it works. My 6 in 1 Craftsman isn't quite right, but it does the job.

6. cmedalis

cmedalis Rookie

You can also use one of those magnetic-based bowls sold in hardware stores, or as alternatives:
    * glue (several) strong magnets to the base of a steel bowl from the kitchen aisle in your fave discount store
    * use flexible magnet from the back of fridge-magnet advertising (seen on your local yellow pages, etc...) These work well for most dropped screws and springs.
    * buy a sheet of flexible magnet at your local office / craft store. you can find self-adhesive sheets at these places that you could use as a covering on a section of the bench
    * use a magnetic knife storage bar (again from the kitchen supply section) to hold screwdrivers in place above the work bench. has a benefit of magnetizing the screwdrivers over time.

daveappr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.