FAQ: Toolkit for Equipment Repair

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Craig, May 1, 2003.

?

Was this post useful?

1. Yes

110 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. I have no opinion

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Here is what I have, can someone tell me what I need to add:

weight
    LP shims
    vise grips
    screwdriver
    LP test box
    spare tip
    just ordered 100 screws
    spare sockets(for foil/sabre)
    springs
    dremel
    crescent wrench for tightening pommels and bending tangs
    glue
    mask punch(just ordered)
    triplette ohm meter
    screws for favero pins
    soldering iron
    solder
    lamp wire for body cord repair

2. commiemermaid

commiemermaid Rookie

A blue marker for disguising exposed wire? Nah, just kidding... or am I? :jester:

3. Medinilla

Medinilla Rookie

hahahaha, i should print this and put it in my club's news wall:)

4. pkt

pkt Rookie

Lol

Do that and see what happens.

PK

5. pkt

pkt Rookie

When I was a foilist - I saw the light and now fence mainly sabre - I had a blue marker to mark off the 15cm mark on the blade so when I re-tape the blade I know where to stop: just cover the blue mark... (m.13.1. "15 cm" no ±, no more no less.)
    Now, I use a blue marker to inconspicuously mark up the walls or floor for a piste when i fence at "temporary pistes"...
    PK

6. pkt

pkt Rookie

Missing stuff

I hope that's just a typo... Just ONE spare tip? :)
    You're missing the most ubiquitous tool:
    tape.
    Hockey tape is better than duct (come one, not "Duck") tape. White tape is useful in taping up uniforms and gloves...
    How about the pins (male parts) of the body and ground wires: the 3mm and 4mm pins?
    and last definitely not least:
    Needles and white threads...

PK

7. TrainingDummy

TrainingDummy Rookie

Does anyone know of a good epee repair kit for tournaments? My club has a nice armoury bench, but for tournaments I need a kit for when I have tip problems. A fencer at a recent tournament had an absolute fencing kit with extra tip screws, small springs, screwdrivers, large springs (I think), a tin for holding screws, and some other stuff. However, I can't find this kit on AF's website! Does anyone know where I can pick up this kit or a similar one?

8. pkt

pkt Rookie

My container I used when I was fencing foil...

I got my container for tips, wires, etc. in Canadian Tire's outdoor Dept. It's one of those plastic, screw-on-multi-layer container for fishing kits. It's about 1-1/2-inch in diameter, takes up little space and most importantly secure to keep the small things where they're supposed to be.

Use your imagination.

Failing that, fence sabre. You won't have to deal with all these knick-knacks.

:)
    PK

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Leon Paul has several different test/repair kits listed on their website (click here). Or you can simply build your own - all you need are a few small bags of parts (mostly screws), a jewelers screwdriver, maybe a small magnet and something to hold it all. Left over prescription bottles can be used, as can the round plastic cases that rolls of electrical tape sometimes are sold in.

TrainingDummy likes this.
  10. brtech

brtech Podium

I've done a dozen or so kits for my kids and others in the area. The contents of the kit is:
    1. A tightening tool for the type of nut they use. Outside hex if I have any influence
    2. A miniature screwdriver set from a dollar store. I magnetize the blades for them
    3. A roll of tip tape
    4. A 4 in 1 large screwdriver
    5. A bag of screws
    6. A bag of springs (one of each for epees)
    7. 3 replacement tips
    8. A handful of cotton swabs
    9. A small bottle of alcohol
    10. A cheap test box with red and green leds

I've tried a couple of things to hold this in. A heavy duty plastic container doesn't last. A metal box (like an old fashioned cookie tin) also didn't last. The best bet seems to be a small nylon zipper bag. The fencing post one is a good size, although some outside hex tightening tools don't fit. The problem with the bag is that the plastic box the screwdriver set comes in gets crushed. I don't yet have a great solution to that. Having the full set is useful: the second smallest blade is a good tip screwdriver, the smallest one is useful when the tip screws (foil) get buggered. The larger ones are useful for cord repairs. The philips ("+") is useful on some of the off-brand cord connectors. The smaller one is what you need for an Uhlmann clip. So, for a buck, it's a good choice. Lose something, spend another buck and replace it.

11. pkt

pkt Rookie

Nylon bag is my choice

I went to a JPN 2-dollar store and found some good 3-zippered bags that are long enough to hold even my 6-inch long hex wrench.

As a sabre fencer, I don't need to deal with points, but if you have to, just reinforce the box of screw drivers with transparent tape so they stay intact when crushed...

Because I use 2-prong body wires, I need to have a small screw driver. Instead of carrying another screwdriver, I just ground down the blade of the big one to fit the slot of the screw of the retaining clip of the 2-prong plug.

Oh, I do tape down that small screw to keep it in place. I also hot glue or just tape down the nuts of the body wire so I don't have to deal with them when I need to fix the body wire.

It seems that the Euro-body wires require a lot more attention than the LP ones: too many parts vs the LP ones.

PK

BTW, is the small bottle of alcohol for drowning one's sorrow when one loses?
    Just kidding, of course.

PK

12. TrainingDummy

TrainingDummy Rookie

Thanks, buying from there.

13. Gary Lu

Gary Lu Rookie

new tool kit

Absolute is offering the new tool kit that you have the option to choose inside/outside key, French/German screws, spring, tip/barrael, wire, screwdriver....

14. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

Anyone know the size of the tiny screwdriver or am I going to have to take my spare point with me to Sears when I get it?

15. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Easiest probably to just buy a set of jeweler's screwdrivers (available almost anywhere). That way you're covered not only for a variety of tip screws (they do vary), but also for the set screws on body cord pins.

You may also find that at most retailers (such as Sears), they are only packaged in sets.

edit: If you can find individual screwdrivers in that size than 2mm is probably a decent size for most tip screws.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  16. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

My school only uses French points, and I already have the screwdriver at home, but I'd much rather have a nice craftsman one. It'd also allow me to use it to clean glue out of grooves and get a new one for free :D

It's also because I hate the feel of normal jewlery screwdriver sets. I don't like that metal texture. The Craftsman screwdriver is coated with rubber, which is better.

I was looking on their website and they do have the individual screwdriver. I'll need a laser level for this leveling project that I'm doing, so I already have to go to Harbor Freight. I'll just add Sears to that list :rolleyes:

17. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

In that case you might consider going down a size to 1.5 or 1 mm - it seems like recent batches of French (Sport 7) screws have had poorly cut slots that require a very small screwdriver.

18. brtech

brtech Podium

I use 1.5mm. It seems to work in everything.

The sears ones are fine, but lots of stores don't carry the metric sizes. The Wiha (you want the one with a black body and red spin top, not the all red one) is better, but the Craftsman guarantee is pretty handy sometime. You can mail order either easily.

Don't forget to magnetize the tip.

19. Andrei

Andrei Rookie

Very useful thread helped me start my kit.

20. EldRick

EldRick Podium

5mm and 6mm wrenches

You can find any type of 5mm and 6mm wrenches your hearts desire online at McMaster-Carr. Search for metric wrench.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.