eyeglasses for fencing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by wakeup, Nov 16, 2011.

1. wakeup

wakeup Made the Cut

My husband is just starting to fence. He typically wears progressive lenses and is having problems with the (loaner) mask knocking his glasses around/out of alignment. The simple band-around-the-back-of-the-head device for keeping glasses in place doesn't solve the problem. So his instinct is to buy monofocal sports goggles for fencing. Is that a sensible approach? Here I'm asking both about the goggles (vs. contacts, vs better fitting mask) and the switch to monofocal for fencing. (I do it for bowling, but that's a sport where the distances are basically fixed).

2. Bonehead

Bonehead Podium

My prescription is -2.5 in both eyes. I find It just easier to not wear glasses when fencing, as my vision isn't that bad.

I have known a guy to wear sports googles, and it seemed to work pretty good for him. I also know plenty of people who just wear normal glasses. I think the trick is to put your face into the mask, rather than sliding it on.

Contacts are pretty much the best option though.

3. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

You can get perfect glasses (if you have your prescription and PD) from places like Zenni-optical.com for a ridiculously low price. I recently bought a pair of glasses for fencing based on frame width, weight and switched to monofocal for fencing. They were less than $20.00 with shipping. Basically, I buy glasses all the time with specific features, ignoring all of the things like lens scratch treatments, with the assumption that they are disposable at the price I pay. They are however, just as robust as the glasses I used to get for $300-$500 and have the best (flawless) lenses I've ever had.

All that being said, perhaps you might consider your first fencing equipment purchase to be a mask. Much cheaper than glasses from a standard brick and mortar store and it will be only your husbands sweat inside.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. Zilverzmurfen

Zilverzmurfen Rookie

Seconded. Contacts are a blessing. Definitely one of the top 10 most amazing inventions IMO.

Signed
    *someone who has roughly -12*

5. VorpalCat

VorpalCat Podium

I couldn't wear contacts so I got a pair of inexpensive kid-sized frames to wear under my fencing mask. The narrowness across the temples kept the mask from chewing up the corners like it had been doing to my regular glasses. I've blissfully loved the past several years of no glasses (lasik or prk, forget which, don't care) but when I find myself back in the state of needing glasses for fencing, I'll likely do the same sort of thing again just because it was so darned easy. (I'm also making a note of the place Joe mentioned, sounds peachy.)

6. jasdoc

jasdoc Rookie

I am an ophthalmologist
    If contacts and lasik are not an option, wearing your regular glasses are the best solution
    I suggest getting a good mask that fits well
    This should solve the problem

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Have him practice putting the mask on. With glasses, the cool "flip down" will cause problems. You needs to put the mask on front-first.

8. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

I found fencing with glasses to be very uncomfortable and even annoying. I fenced for a year or two without glasses--even though my vision is rather weak--thinking it wouldn't matter too much. I was wrong. I've been using contacts this past year and notice a big difference in judging distance and point control, and I feel more relaxed. Contacts are far superior to glasses, so it's worth the expense.

9. kmwong

kmwong Rookie

I wear glasses when fencing, and I put my face into the mask first...if that makes any sense. I'd pick glasses that are not too wide. Even with my Absolute Small size mask, I have no issues with the glasses. In fact, my mask actually helps to hold them in place!

Or, contacts. But I find with my allergies, it's just not a possibility.

10. edew

edew Podium

Unifocal is sufficient. But more importantly, get children-sized frames. Those croakies (they don't exist anymore, I guess) are also great to hold the glasses. I fence with glasses. I just wear the smaller framed glasses. (I have to, too, as my prescription is so bad that a large frame would require the edge of the glass to be very thick.)

11. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Older Eyes

I wear contacts only when fencing and switched from monofocal to progressives so I can read the score sheet when self-reffing or dealing with tip screws mid-tournament. Once you've worn out your first ophthalmologist-obtained pair, you can get more for much cheaper on-line.

12. tchwojko

tchwojko Rookie

I'm around -6. I usually wear contacts when fencing, but when I don't, I put an elastic strap on my (regular sized) glasses to hold them snugly in place. A bit annoying when it gets loose, but it does the job well enough that I can't blame losing on my vision.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

My eyesight is pretty bad...lenses are a little on the coke-bottle side. Contacts are not an option...I have a hard enough time putting drops in my eyes.

My frames are also pretty big (I hate having the frames in my vision), so I have to put on the mask face first.

1) chin goes in first
    2) pull the top of the mask on

This makes the moving part of the mask the top, which is wider and allows for the glasses

To remove, pull it off from the top down.

14. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

They're still around, so far as I can tell. Recently I was looking at their website, and it looked current.

15. sabreur

sabreur Podium

1. Don't wear bifocals to fence--it plays hell with your distance.
    2. Sports glasses are a good thing to wear.
    3. Contacts (if you can tolerate them--I can't) are great.
    4. Otherwise, as people have noted, small-framed glasses with a croakie are the best bet.

A headband or (shudder) bandanna can help if you sweat a lot.

Put a dab of liquid soap or shampoo on a cloth and rub in on your glasses--it will keep them from fogging.

16. wakeup

wakeup Made the Cut

Thanks -- lots of helpful advice here! We would never have thought of the kids frames idea.

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Even with high-index lenses? That option thins mine down by about half.

As well as a number of other brands. I just get the cheap ones from Sports Authority or Sport Chalet.

18. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I prefer contacts to eyeglasses that fog. Also my wirerims get knocked aside when donning my mask. If you can't wear contacts, then sports googles for safety and ease-of-use.

19. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Uh, I think you responded to a spambot.
    Maybe we need to quarantine any new users who reopen and post to very old threads.

20. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Spambot or Not, things have somewhat changed since the 2011 thread.
    Highly recommend this product to keep glasses from sliding down your nose.

Dwight brought them to my attention and they work nicely under the mask.
    If for any reason the above link doesn't work for you search for "silicone temple tips"
    on Amazon or ebay.
    best regards