Esprit Foil Blades are in!

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Oct 19, 2017.

1. s.brookes

s.brookes Made the Cut

Can't say I measured it, so you may be right on this case.

Yes, inertia is exactly what I meant. I will say that my issues with the blade are due to the mass distribution and resulting inertia, not due to the flexibility. Although, the two are likely correlated.

Even if my budget may hate me for it, I may take you up on that!

2. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Do a side-by-side comparison of a BF you like an your Esprit blade. You'll notice a material distribution difference. This will be more pronounced if you use rectangular cross-sectioned (at the base) BF blades instead of square cross-sectioned blades. Esprits are thicker in the foible and, in my opinion, intended to have a mass distribution that gives you a more uniform curve but not be tip-heavy like Vnitis often are. Esprits have a distinguished shape at their forte as well that is clearly intentional for weight distribution and not just for the nice aesthetic. That material distribution will determine the moment of inertia of the blade.

I make a point to put a bend in each of my new blades manually before using them. I noticed right away that the Esprits are intended to have a different bending profile. This will probably be a different result than if you just went to using it immediately.

Such is life. :)

3. brtech

brtech Podium

Got a flyer from USA Fencing with an ad from Absolute saying they were the exclusive distributor of Franchini blades. What's up with that?

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

As they used to say in the old school black and white mystery movies, "very interesting...". My guess is if you want to market a high end blades with a price tag to match, you should better have more than one retailer selling them.

Nevertheless, I don't have the skill set anymore to take advantage of that quality of a blade and I definitely can't afford it. So like the old adage, "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it....".

5. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

S
    It seems just from observation like Absolute pulled the rug out from under Sword Masters on this one. I don't know. Ugly business if that's the case, though.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

A contract change, perhaps? They're still up on SwordMasters' site, but that might only be to allow for the blades in stock to be sold off IF that is the case.

I know one kid locally who's already broken 2 of the foils...

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sword Masters (yes, it's a two worded name), it was a decision we made about Esprit.
    I still have access to the blades, yes, I can and will still sell them here in the USA.
    They are still in my opinion one of, if not the best blades on the planet.
    This is about all I can and will say about the subject.

8. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Fair enough. I understand that given the forum. You'll have my business for replacements.

9. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

All I will say on these blades is that you should get them while you can. While no one knows about them.
    I have seen and tried the Epee blades and WOW. Total loss of words to describe how light they are.
    I second Gary's Review of them.

10. caerdathyl

caerdathyl Made the Cut

Just ordered one from Sword Masters! I shall post my review a couple days after I get it next week. I have high hopes!

11. AndI

AndI Rookie

My Y12 kid read this thread and became super excited about "the best blade in the world". I just had to order this blade for him. He is too young for a stiff blade. I contacted Gary, he did not have any "medium" in stock, so I ended up ordering one from Absolute Fencing. I wanted to buy this blade from Gary because the custom engraving "FOR ABSOLUTE" in bold letters looks incredibly ugly in the picture. I imagine, Gary would not have anything like that. Picture on his web site looks gorgeous. Evidently, Absolute Fencing imagines that if a Chevrolet dealer decides to start selling Ferraris, then painting the word "Chevrolet" on top of Ferrari's hood in as big letters as possible would boost the sales. I would gladly pay more to NOT have this engraving.

We also ended up ordering the rest of the components (like grip, guard, socket) from Leon Paul because I just cannot put Absolute Fencing components on this blade. They do not go together well. I could not find anything attractive on their web site, especially using their low resolution pictures shot with a shifted color balance. The kid likes Belgian grip, it fits the size of his hand very well. Both types of Belgian grip which Absolute offers look ugly in the pictures. Maybe it is the picture quality, but it is all I got to make a judgement. Leon Paul got it right, they know how much the first impression from unpacking of an expensive purchase means, they have style and know how to make each component look good. They know that a cheap looking grip or socket can immediately trigger buyers remorse, even if appearance does not matter much, or at all, when it comes to the blade's performance.

The kid will be assembling his foil himself. Good practice for him. He cannot wait.

This blade costs 125 Euros, or $142 directly from the forge (before VAT) (but US customers are required to go to Absolute). Absolute charges us about 35% more for bringing it here. I hope the blade is worth it, being one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive blade offered in the US.

The good news is that Absolute is now offering 10% off their price. Looks like they overestimated the desire of the market to pay the starting price. I think the price should eventually stabilize around $150, where it will be reasonably aligned with the price of this blade in Europe and pricing of other premium blades.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    twisterfencing likes this.
  12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Available for adoption.;)Seriously - mark it with your fencer's name, minimally, adding additional contact info with which you are comfortable. I use address labels. Otherwise it's (collective singular) two $100 bills laying on the floor. May your fencer use it in good health.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Definitely mark your weapons and all your gear; a lot of stuff winds up in the lost and found and never claimed after a big event because we don't see a name or phone number on it. I think having some kind of unique pattern (mine's obvious!) on bell guard pads, weapon covers, mask (<---), and other stuff makes it less likely for another fencer to pick up your gear by mistake, and makes it easier to locate when it is misplaced.

14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Just marking won't get your gear back if someone discovers it in their bag at home or it's left behind. Many BCs post-tournament.

15. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sorry did not have the right compression (stiffness) for you.
    IF you run into problems assembling it, let me know. Got your back.

Yes, it still is in my opinion, one of to the best blades on the planet. I am sure one day, another forge will take that spot, but right now, "Esprit" owns it.

Gary Spruill

AndI likes this.