Esprit Foil Blades are in!

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Oct 19, 2017.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I promised to let all know when the new Esprit foil blades came in and were available.

They are here!

I received (10) foil blades while in Anaheim. Between the drive from Anaheim, CA and Amarillo, TX, I now have (5) left. Hmmmm! Staying over in Amarillo for an open event. Great folks at this event and did not want to miss it, then headed back to the shop.

Blade count schedule coming to us: Oct - Nov - Dec, we will be receiving (10) blades per month. Jan (2018) the blade count will go up. Reason: Esprit is trying to fill all the orders through out the world, not just ours. We will end up with right around (50) of these per month by March of 2018. Just for comparison purposes: we receive around 300(+) BF foil(s) blades per month.

Several folks on this very site are some that have purchased them.

Want to learn more? Link: click here

Going to attempt to answer next the most common question: The epee blades are in the hands of the FIE Semi to be homologated. Esprit will not tell me a thing about them until they are approved.

Reminder: we only have (5) left, (2) stiffs and (3) med's as I am writing this. Once these are gone, the next shipment will not hit us until sometime in November. Our website is set up to show an "out of stock" once they are gone.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Gary slipped on a grip when I visited the booth last weekend....it was like holding air!

3. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sam is correct in his statement;

I had a customer in Anaheim come by the booth and ask a pretty simple question: Gary; what makes these so special? Here is the basic answer I gave him: You can own a Honda or Toyota or GM vehicle and they are all great vehicles, the problem is when you test drive a Bentley or Mercedes, its hard to go back to the others. It's really that simple of an answer. Now if I did not mention your make of car; sorry. Just an example:)

Gary Spruill

4. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I mean, okay. But, as someone who isn't holding it:

What makes these blades different than a BF? Or an LP? What makes them better (justifying the more than 50% increase in price)?

From an StM to a Vniti, where do they fall in terms of durability?

How much do they weigh?

twisterfencing likes this.
  5. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

it has much better balance. I also heard that the machine was shut off at 40,000 bends

6. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Please keep in mind that these foil blades are made completely by hand. They are not stamped out in a machine.

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

InFerrumVeritas

I have not put one of these on a scale. Most likely, they are all going to be totally different since they are all 100% hand forged.

BF's and STM's and Vnitit's all all *great* blades. They all have a purpose. Esprit is just one of those blades that you are just going to have to put your hands on to feel and make up your own mind. The fencer that could care less and could use a broom stick, this blade is not going to make a single bit of difference. The fencer that is looking for the perfection of an original Blaise Brother's foil blade or a Scoroni Brothers blade made back in the 50's, then add some serious steroids, you might get close.

My mind tells me: this is not a club weapon; this is a *extremely* high end blade.

Gary Spruill

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Hmm..
    *clicks on link*
    $200?
    *closes link*

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  9. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

For the curious, I purchased one and will be producing a review after fencing with it for a bit.

10. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I did as well. I'll share my thoughts on the matter since I'm so picky and particular about foil blades.

11. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

I can't wait for the Epee blades to come out.
    @twisterfencing ,
    Can we get a pre-order page setup once they are homologated and the quantity is confirmed?

twisterfencing likes this.
  12. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I mean, I get that it's a premium product. I also get that hand forging makes it more expensive. But I'm not getting an explanation as to why this blade is so good. Is it the balance point? The weight? The durability?

One of the things I would expect from a premium blade would be the consistency, yet you've said that you expect they all vary quite a lot in weight.

13. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I received mine today and this is definitely a fine piece of craftsmanship. It's absurdly light, balanced perfectly, has a nice polished finish, great material symmetry and just feels fantastic in your hand even holding it by the tang. I slid a handle on it and it's an instant "wow!". At a given NAC or nationals you could pick through hundreds of BF blades and not find something this nice.

14. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Emfuser:

Here is the fun part to your statement below:
    I got (10) of these foil blades and, EVERY SINGLE ONE of these blades are/were exactly like your statements below. Not one or two, but every single one of them.

I could go through 50 to 100 BF's and find 2 or 3 that *might* get close to one of these blades. I got (10) that were OMG blades. I have now touched (15) Esprit blades and every single one of them are OMG blades.

I know how they are doing it, I know the processes Alberto (forger) is taking to make these OMG blades. and there are so many steps involved, its scary to even think about it. There is not a single detail left out and then some to insure they are 100% perfect.

I am extremely impressed with this new old style forging process from Esprit, I am also glad you are as well.

Gary Spruill

15. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

InFerrumVeritas,

Its everything you mentioned below.
    Consistency based on your comment about weight: put 20 BF's on a scale, non of them will be the same. No blade will be the same no matter who makes it or how its made. I know that this blade is hand forged, but I am under the impression, the variances in weight will be about the same as BF, my comment is based on the fact that a computer stamped blade or hand forged blade all will weigh differently a tad.

For you, you may just need to feel one to understand.

16. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

jkormann,

I understand: I don't want to spend the money for a Bentley either. But know I turned down an offer of $300 US for one blade to a gold metal foilist in Europe (not naming for a reason) that is on a waiting list at Esprit for this very blade. I only got (10) of them and wanted them for *our* fencer's here in the US and told him no. Also note: the same gold metal foilist, already had (2) of them and wanted a third for an upcoming event.
    That foilist:
    *clicked on link at our web site*
    Saw the same $200
    *called me* I know him, he had my number.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Chris:
    Once I see them, feel them, play with them, look at the tests from the SEMI, talk to Alberto, then and only then I will agree to carry them.
    Once we have the agreement in place, then there will be the waiting game. Same that we went through with the foils. When I agree and have them in my hands, I will put them on the web site to offer.
    It took three months to get the foils.

18. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Guys,
    Need some help here.
    Mitchell - Emfuser - bobb121
    Since I have three folks that have this blade in hand on this forum;
    Can you give an honest perception/update of what you think of this blade?
    I can explain it until I am blue in the face, but understand, I am bias in this and have an invested interests in it.
    Need an outsider's opinion to give me a check up from the neck up.

19. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Driving a Bentley isn't going to make me a better driver, no matter how much I want it to. :(

20. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Sure. I'm going to put mine in a few folks hands in its new state before I cut the tang and wire it next week. Once I do that I'll happily give more feedback.