Esprit Epee Blades

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Apr 26, 2018.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Esprit Epee Blade updates

We have been in Richmond at the NAC, just got back and received a shipment of blades from Esprit waiting for me to play with.

In the box is/was (1) brand new, serial number 0012 Esprit Epee Blade.

OK, going to give you the highlights of it in a nutshell.

Finish: Perfection is the only word I know to use. In my head; I know this is a hand forged blade, yet also know that there is “no” way for this blade to be this perfect made by hand, but it is. Every detail is perfect. Every cut, every groove, perfect. This blade is not as shinny as the foil blade but, who cares.

Stiffness: I ordered this epee blade as a “Hard” (in our terms: stiff), yet find the blade to fit more in the stiff medium range rather than the super stiff we are used to in the BF line.

Break point: Here is a funny: I CANNOT FIND IT? What does this mean? Most; if not all blades have a break point normally about 7 to 12 inches into the blade from the tip, OK, cool, this blade rolls like a barrel, meaning: this is one of those (1) in a thousand blades that has no break point to it. Wow! Are all of them this way? Don’t know, this is the first one for me. I want to say that this is coming from the forging process which means all of them will be this way. If this assumption is correct, OMG!

Weight: Have not put them on a scale yet but: pulled a BF and compared them, BF is a much heavier blade. Now, pulled an STM, same darn thing. Hmmmm? Pulled a FIE LP out and compared and really cannot tell the difference between them in weight. Really? Yes really! Notes: the back end at the tang, is much smaller/thinner/not as wide as a BF. It’s like the blades of old. I am attaching a image of it so you can see what I am telling you about the back end.

Summary:
    Fit and finish: Perfect. Breaking point: can’t find it. Weight: Like a feather or as light as a LP. I think Esprit is on to something as a maraging epee blade. They have my support. I like it!!!

OK: here is what is going on in my head (warning, danger inside) Take this blade that feels like a feather, wire it with an Italian point, good, use a Schermasport epee guard that is super light, Negrini socket, use one of those cuping guard pads, either a French grip with a schermasport two piece pommel or, a Negrini Anatomical Visconti grip and man: you have a perfectly balanced, super strong attacking or defending epee. This epee would be down right DANGEROUS in the right hands!

When I get more responses about the blade, will be ordering more for inventory. Note: they ain't cheap! How ain't cheap? The blade itself, no point, just the blade bare is going to run right at $227.00 per epee blade. Yes, I already know.

Gary

Image of blade: click here

tsbphd, Tomas N and bobb121 like this.
  2. mfp

mfp Podium

Looks like you found the breaking point!

tsbphd, NKFA, VorpalCat and 3 others like this.
  3. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Just my thoughts. You should have a super light weight package for this to give us a price break.

twisterfencing likes this.
  4. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Glad to be of service.
    Not your cup of tea, got it.
    Hope you never have to face one though if they are what I think they are :)
    I posted the same on facebook above, I have fielded about 60 emails just today explaining our company process of approving a product to bring to market. We test, test some more, before we ever offer. Once this is done, we can or will offer to the public. Meaning: we have already 60 folks that are screaming at us to "get're done".

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  5. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Only wish I could Chris.
    These blades costs us almost (3) times of a BF stick - (+) import fees - (+) shipping - (+) being on a waiting list to get them
    They are butt ugly expensive.

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

That really is old school. I still have a couple of those old narrow-forte blades from the 80s.

I look forward to seeing one. I'm not sure I'm sold, for a couple of reasons: If it flexes further back than a BF it will flick slower. And in general, people don't seem to think that lighter-than-BF is even a goal. The LP Fusion is lighter than a BF, and I'm not sure how much market share it's taken.

Still, it's nice that someone is trying to make a really high end blade on a unique profile and not just copying BF. Good for them. I hope it takes off.

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Thanks Kevin,

Me Too.

Tired of the same old blade time after time. Glad to see someone step outside the box, or into an older box anyway with today's technology.

Next time I see ya, grab me and ask to see one. Maybe, just maybe, you'll like'em

8. killerturkey

killerturkey Rookie

How is the testing on these blades going?

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I have done everything I know to put this blade through the ringer and back. Fracture, stress, balance, tang welding, threads, you name it.

One thing I have found is: after 20,000 hits, I found a small bend in the blade. That is pretty normal for all blades, most blades at this hit count will have a large bend, but at this price point for this blade, I am looking for exceptional, not normal.

The second thing noticed: they made this blade to be light. But, it is so light, in my opinion, its a little odd to control. You almost do not even feel the point out there on the end. Very similar to the LP V blade.

Esprit has done a great job. I am almost done. This "pause" between National events to SN's have given us more time to work on it. Working on it between orders and phone calls daily.

Hope this update helps

Gary

10. piste off

piste off Podium

Yeah, has the thinner profile of the Prieur blades of the 70s/80s. Why don’t they make all blades like that to make them lighter? You don’t need a wide forte.

11. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I don't know, I'm only guessing: They started making wider fortes on epee blades when I was in graduate school. It seemed to me, subjectively, that the wider forte blades had a wider, more forgiving sweet spot for making hard beats. You can see here what I'm talking about, but this is about baseball bats. Epees flex more than baseball bats, so the effect of the harmonics is a lot more. This is why some people, even though they're very strong, never seem to get a good beat on your blade, and some people seem to be able to flick their fingers and send your tip flying: if you make a beat on the node you transfer all your energy to the other person's blade. If you make a beat off the node you just make the epee wobble. The wide base seemed to me to alter the harmonics of the blade a lot and to give the new blades a much wider sweet spot for making beats and percussive parries.

Was I just imagining this? Was I overly affected by my numerical analysis class? Who knows. It will be interesting to see if the Esprit blades perform as well as the wider forte blades in the hands of top fencers. If they get a reputation for not being as effective at hard beats as the BF I think this will be the reason.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    piste off and mtwieg2 like this.
  12. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

I would love it if blade manufacturers specified their eigenmodes....

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I'd like it if they all made the groove at the shoulder deeper to better protect the wires as they come through the guard...and be in line with the rest of the groove.

BFs are fine...Vnitis are barely adequate.