Epoxy

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by K O'N, Oct 26, 2010.

1. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm in a bad mood. I have a batch of about twenty epees I guess I wired all at once, about two years ago, and they're all starting to spring the wires at once. I think I used some sort of rubberized CA. So I'm thinking of re-wiring them with epoxy. I use epoxy all the time in larger projects, so I have several gallons of Raka 2:1 in my garage. I could use that with a syringe, I guess. Or there's a 5 minute epoxy at Home Despot that has a neato little mixer tube, so you squirt out pre-mixed epoxy in a nice bead, that would be nice, but that's something like 100x the price of the boatbuilding epoxy I buy by the gallon. On the other hand, how much will I ever use? Feh. I really hate having every epee in the club spring all at once, it's like they were on a timer.

So, if you use epoxy, what type? How do you apply it?

If not, what's the most durable glue you have direct experience with? The rubberized CA seems to last two years, but not much more, the stuff that's coming off now is very fractured and flaky.

K O'N

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

The longest lasting I have found so far is just the thinnest CA I can get. I tried the rubberized, but had a similar experience to you. I have never used epoxy myself, but I know LP uses it. I hate their wiring jobs as I have found the wire usually breaks somewhere along the line and getting the epoxy out of the groove is a huge pain!

3. bob46

bob46 Rookie

Acetone bath, dremel wheel! woohoo...

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah, ah feel yore pain, having to futz around with 20 epees would put me in a bad mood, too. :jester:

Or one epee, for that matter. :blah:

5. migopod

migopod Podium

Seriously I just use whatever brand of CA is available at the grocery store (non-gel). I think it's called "Helping hand". Dirt cheap and never had a wire pop provided I acetone bomb the blade and rub out the groove with some 220 grit sand paper before gluing. I once tried using magnet wire and 2 ton epoxy to rewire a blade, but the epoxy wound up being relatively thick and brittle and cracked into bits in a matter of a few months.

6. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

Has anyone tried using clear silicone caulk? Last year a newly purchased epee began to pop its wire. After trying, without success, to re-glue the faulty areas, I covered them with silicone caulk. That seems to have done the trick.

7. ejemyr

ejemyr Made the Cut

This:

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Instant_Blademate_Glue.html

!!!

Or any CA without any additives.

(bend first, let a drop run down(!!) from tip to middle and then (down!!) from tang to middle.

After being a 2-component epoxy purist for many years, I have now after 50 or so epee and foil blades concluded that CA is much easier, much faster and much cleaner. And never pops up if the groove is really clean and "sanded" down. But if you cheat with prep, result will be sh-t.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    Fencergrl likes this.
  8. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Is "acetone bombin g" different from an overnight soak? And what is your technique with 220-grit sandpaper?

9. migopod

migopod Podium

Acetone bombing is exactly an overnight soak in a tube full of acetone, although it doesn't really take that long to get the glue off. The term bombing refers to the alternate name of an acetone tube that resembles a long pipe bomb.

With the sandpaper I just fold it into a V shape and sand parallel to the length of the blade until any residue left from the glue dissolved in the acetone is gone.