Epeeists, what size grip?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by little_old_me, Jul 26, 2006.

1. little_old_me

little_old_me Rookie

I think the grip I'm using may be too big. But the size down one feels really tiny. I'm currently using an Uhlmann Visconti size Large. I wear a size 9 glove.

What size do you use and how big is your hand?

2. IU_Epee

IU_Epee Rookie

Currently I use a large Uhlmann visconti grip, but am trying out a medium, and might switch. I wear size 12 gloves.

3. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

As odd as it sounds, I like to find one that is comfy and then go a size down. You don't really want to have your hand all the way around a grip. You want to be holding it with the tips of the fingers instead of nestled in the palm of your hand. When you are holding your grip, you should be able to slip the finger of your off hand in between the pal and the grip of your weapon. Promotes finger control, keeps you from having a death grip and will give you smaller, more controlled actions. It just is not very comfortable...

4. c3l2vantes

c3l2vantes Rookie

yeah i think civille has it right, because thats exactly what my coach made me do when i picked up my second weapon (i too use the ulhman visconti large/medium) and i have to admit the control seems better with the medium. also i dont know what size glove i use but my hands are meat hooks so...

p.s. the medium is deffinately harder on the muscles in my hand but i still like it more

5. epeeisky

epeeisky Rookie

I have a size 9.5 glove, and I use a medium visconti grip. I also use a Zivcovick B, modified Russian(ewww), and a large visconti. BY FAR my favorite is the medium absolute visconti beause it gives me much better control. The Ziv B grip is a close second.

6. HDG

HDG Podium

Modified in what way(s)?

7. epeeisky

epeeisky Rookie

Well after awhile I grew to really hate the TCA Russian I have(at first I loved it). I shortend the grip by about 1 inch. I then rounded out alot of the sharp(90 edges) on the grip so that it fit in my hand smoothly, and then added some hatching for a better grip. It makes me tolerate the grip enough that I don't change it, but would never buy one or reccomend one again.

8. little_old_me

little_old_me Rookie

from what you've all been saying, I think I'll give a Medium a try. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it works out after it comes in and I have some time with it.

9. keropie

keropie Podium

For the record, I wear a size 9.5 glove and use small visconti grips. My coach wears about a size 11 glove (cause his hands are giantly wide, but not very long), and uses a small visconti as well.

10. little_old_me

little_old_me Rookie

I've tried a small and that definitely isn't gonna work. I've got too much finger to wrap around it.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

If you have long fingers, you can get the Uhlmann visconti in a long version. I used to use a medium/long visconti. The fencing post had some a year ago even though they aren't on the web page. I don't know if they have any now (I've switched to the Schermasport visconti).

12. keropie

keropie Podium

Ah, the difference... I don't wrap my fingers around the grip at all ;) Just fingertips on grip, the rest of the fingers around the grip, in an 'open' grip.

13. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

This is as it should be. You will have a much easier time getting the super tight actions and very fine point control used by high level fencers using this method.

14. grotto

grotto Rookie

alternative to visconti

I would suggest trying belgian grips as well, I find the visconti tend to bunch up my hand something fierce. just my $.02 but what Cville says also applies with this grip fingers not palm etc etc.

15. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

I use either LP or Shermasport Belgians. The finger prong can give you a bit more leverage in certain situations and you can get a bit more snap into your flicks without using as much vertical/snap movement just by slightly raising the wrist and the "pulling" with the middle finger. It is a bit hard to describe without actually seeing it. There is a reason thought that the visconti and the Belgian are the two most popular grips. They both have advantages/tradeoffs but for the vast majority of fencers one or the other works out to be the best balance of pro's and con's. If you are going for a tight and controled game I would stay away from the more fringe grips such as the Russian and so forth.

16. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

i use a medium

17. AndrastVitesse

AndrastVitesse Rookie

I wear a sixe 7.5 glove and use a Russian grip. But I also use visconti small grips.

18. little_old_me

little_old_me Rookie

Thanks everybody. Yeah, I know about the "hold it with your fingers, not your palm" thing. I recently discovered that I was holding my weapon incorrectly. When I changed my hand position, I started to notice that the Large grip may be too big. That's why I am considering switching down to a Medium.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks for the advice.

19. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

I use a medium visconti, but am considering going down to a small.