epee training epee fencers

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by shantelikes 2 fence, Aug 31, 2011.

1. shantelikes 2 fence

shantelikes 2 fence Rookie

Hello
    I have been fencing epee for half a year now and my results div2 3rd place nationals have been great. I have fenced foil for many years and decided to switch. I have had the privilege of susie scanlan(womens epee team trying to qualify for the olympics) to watch and fence trying to improve my skills. Anyways I have had trouble with my footwork and that has caused problems with distance and etc. I am stuck in my foil footwork and I need recommendations for epee footwork drills. Even the most basic drills would be helpful.

Every weapon has different footwork I need some help with epee.=)

thanks

2. Mr Epee

Mr Epee Rookie

Luckily, you live in the age of youtube. I'd suggest browsing around until you find a successful fencer who has a style you can appreciate, or has physical similarity to yourself. Then try to shadow box -hopefully with aid of a mirror for feedback- trying to get a feel for moving in the style of the fencer you watched.

Mimicry is a powerful tool.

This sort of thing is particularly problematic as internet discussion topic. but, good luck.

Sent from my phone.

3. piste off

piste off Podium

This is EXCELLENT advice. I've recently challenged how I move after watching myself on video, and have found this tip to be an incredible eye-opener. In particular, slow-motion to really get an understanding is key.

4. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

Rick,

Didn't I tell you that like three years ago?

To the OP: since you live in MN and get to watch Scanlan fence a whole bunch, I'm assuming you have access to her coach, Ro Sobalvaro. He's a very skilled coach, and while you should definitely follow Mr. E's advice, you should also make as much use of Ro as you can.

5. piste off

piste off Podium

Perhaps, but I liked the idea better when Mr. Epee wrote it. Kidding aside, you know I am not short on things to work on; and at the time I may not have been ready for the advice.

6. Dev

Dev DE Bracket

Just a word of warning to the OP: while video analysis of one's own fencing is an invaluable tool and will help you fix all kinds of stuff, if you've never done it before, brace yourself. The psychological impact of seeing the difference between what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing is pretty... uh... substantial.

Short version: Most people see themselves fence on video and are horrified. I had to be talked off a ledge.

7. tbryan

tbryan Podium

To me, you and Mr. Epee seem to be talking about completely different things, so I suspect that one or both of us has a reading comprehension problem. ;)

That's not to say that it's a bad idea to watch video of yourself. I think that it can be very helpful. But I don't think that's what Mr. Epee was saying. Since the original poster's question seemed to be "what should my footwork look like?", looking at videos of other fencers is probably the most useful advice for sl2f at this point.

8. piste off

piste off Podium

Re-read the post, and don't assume it was written incorrectly or without full comprehension of Mr. Epee's thought. Use some software to slow down your reading if it helps.