(Epee) following through attacks?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by oli2001, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oli2001

oli2001 Rookie

Hi everyone,

Do yesterday I competed in my first competition, and I was told that I should follow up my attacks rather than attack and then pull out (in case I miss).

Does this mean I should try and get myself closer when attacking (like propelling myself forward, lunging etc) and if so, how can I do so without weakening my stance or running into the blade etc.

2. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Have you asked your coach?

No, it doesn't mean any of that. It means remising to progressively deeper target while attempting to avoid your opponent's blade. Otherwise, if you pull away you're giving your opponent a chance to hit while you cannot. This is situationally useful, but is a core component of epee once fencers come into contact with each other.

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

...or it could mean that you shouldn't be one of those epee fencers that makes "one off" attacks and then recovers and runs out of the distance. You may not necessarily need to remise to a deeper target, but you should be using your initial attack to explore continuations of your actions. That continuation may be to a deeper target, to the same target you just attacked, or to a target as you leave the space. You've done all the work (and taken all the risk) to make an initial attack, so it's a shame miss the first hit and then run away. But what you do after that initial attack fails is going to depend a lot on what the opponent does -- naturally. A simple approach to this is here: http://www.coachescompendium.org/FOURSITUATIONS.HTML

What does your coach have to say?