Epee blade info

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Yanchev, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Yanchev

Yanchev Rookie

Hi
    Can some one help me?
    I have this epee blade with marking N 0408 and noting more. Can someone give me more information about it? Is it fake or just a old N one?
    DSC_2109.JPG

2. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

3. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

It is a someone trying to make someone think it is FIE. One glance and I knew I didn't need to look at the list of approve blades. First look at FIE. The bottom is straight. They should be curved like the bottom of a shield on a real FIE blade. The date should be in a separate area at the top of the shield with the Month and day separated by a funny looking Y with 2 bars across the bottom of the Y.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Some time ago, there were FIE approved blades that were made of non-maraging grade steel. One company that produced them was STM. I have a pair of those blades in my collection with a similar ā€œNā€ etching

Since the STM blades were not made of corrosion resistant steel, they will tend to rust if not taken care of properly. The corrosion increases the possibility of micro cracks and other surface damage.

The ā€œNā€ epee blades are legal to use in domestic tournaments, but not FIE events.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Here is a picture of my STM epee blade.
    upload_2018-11-18_13-19-21.png

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I wouldn't expect it to, it says 0408 on it. Ten years old, if indeed it's not a fake mark.

Anyone have access to the 2008 list? I presume it's not still online.

7. Yanchev

Yanchev Rookie

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

No, it looks like a fake. A legitimate FIE stamp would have the manufuacturer's ID (a circle with 'Paul' in the case of LP).

9. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The things you can do with a bit of technology to make a buck.

10. mfp

mfp Podium

The FIE document lists the dates of blade homologation and periodic retests. I have been told by people doing control at World Championships that blades don't have to have a date that matches something on the list, they only have to have a manufacturer's date stamp that's within a certain timeframe after a homologation/retest date on the list. I.e. so don't assume a date 0408 means it must be Leon Paul (or LP counterfeit) based on the date.

Dynamo used to be a maker of N epee blades and their blades never seemed to have a consistent mark, if any. They got FIE homologation for a N blade once. Note the "??" listed for their mark.

Note no "N" blades are FIE approved anymore.

I used to see random epee blades in the mid to late 200Xs that people claimed were from Dynamo with similar looking anonymous marks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018