Epee Bell Guard

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Don Treanor, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Don Treanor

Don Treanor Rookie

So I have a new one, at least for me. I have an epee that passes Gap and resistance tests for the tip but when I do the ground test on the bell guard (on the piste) the center of the bell guard passes but as you move out to the edge of the bell guard starts registering as a valid touch. I'm going to try cleaning the socket and inside the bell guard. I suspect that corrosion is causing the issue, just barely passes near the center of the bell guard but as you add that 0.2 ohm as you move away from the center it now fails.
    Has anyone else seen something like this?

2. brtech

brtech Podium

It's not unusual to have corrosion on a guard. Clean the OUTSIDE of the guard with something abrasive. I'd use a green scrubby first, but if that didn't work, I would use a piece of emery cloth or sandpaper. A tenth of an ohm shouldn't matter. A couple of ohms might. If you are having trouble with .1 ohms, there is another problem somewhere. Socket to inside of guard is one place.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Is the center riveted to the rest of the guard or is it one piece? I've seen this when the riveted pieces start to separate.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Like brtech mentioned, corrosion on the aluminum guard is not that uncommon. I use a paper towel with IPA or automotive brake cleaner (a strong solvent) and wipe the guard surface. Acetone will also work.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Also check to make sure the screws connecting the socket to the mounting bracket are tight...as well as the C line receiver.

6. Don Treanor

Don Treanor Rookie

So I finally figured it out. Took the socket apart and there was corrosion on the C-line bracket between the connecting screw and the bracket. Once I sanded that down, works just fine.

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Don Treanor,

Good job!

Gary Spruill