Epee Barrel Wobble

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by jkormann, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I was going to resurrect https://www.fencing.net/forums/threads/epee-barrel-problem.17951/, but thought better of it.

Similar problem, the epee barrel is screwed on tight, but it 'wobbles' in one direction (up/down), but not the others (back/forth). The tip passes weights and shims like a champ. The above thread makes it sound like the barrel threads are partially stripped, which is believable.

Other than taking the whole thing apart which requires a rewire, is there a fix? Is it dangerous or Ok to leave as is?

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Like the thread you referenced, either the blade threads or the barrel are probably damaged.

Now, your 2nd questions is if it's repairable. That'll only be determined by taking the blade apart and checking the blade threading and the barrel. So, at a minimum, you're going to have to rewire the blade.

Your last question is if it's dangerous to use the weapon in its current status. If the barrel comes off during a exchange, your opponent is at risk of getting stabbed. When the fencing gets fierce, it's hard to stop everything, especially during infighting. For everybody's safety, NEVER FENCE WITH UNSAFE EQUIPMENT.

This also goes for worn out equipment like jackets, gloves, masks, etc. Never use unsafe equipment.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Preaching to the choir. That's why I was asking if it was dangerous. It isn't about to fall off, or unscrew, but could it snap the tip?

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Back in the '70s, I was fencing at the Pacific Coast Sectional Championships and had my opponent's epee barrel break off at the threads onto my chest. Fortunately, it was a Russian epee blade and flexible as hell. I think it scared the other guy more than me. Everything happened in a flash.

5. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

jkormann,

I will answer your question for you!
    If your barrel is lifting up and down, or side to side,
    Don't use it. Yes, its dangerous.
    Either the threads on the barrel or the threads on the blade are stripped and there is no fix until you remove the barrel to figure out which end is stripped.
    If its the blade, toss it.
    If its the barrel, toss it and rewire it with a new barrel.

Gary Spruill

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Just realized I didn't reply back. The barrel must have slipped loose sometime since it was assembled. I gently have it 1/4-turn to loosen, felt a 'click' then retightened (1-full turn), fully expecting to have to rewire. I was very happy that it passes weights and shims!

Gary, you think the end threads are not catching? I think you're right and will keep a close eye on it.

twisterfencing likes this.
  7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Thank you :)