epee barrel problem

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by El Chucko, May 23, 2005.

1. El Chucko

El Chucko Rookie

I noticed a week ago that the barrel on my Vniti epee does not seem to fit properly. It is not just a matter of tightening it, either. Even when tightened, it "wobbles" slightly back-and-forth.

The epee still works, and this wobble is not causing any problems yet, but I am afraid that it may lead to a bigger problem down the road. My biggest fear is permanent damage/break of the blade.

What should I do? I am thinking that it may just be a poorly made barrel, with bad threads. If it is not the barrel, should I try to re-thread the blade? What size die would I use for the end of an epee blade? Where can I get one?

Thanks in advance.

2. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

The size is 4.0 x 0.7 mm (M.20.4). You can find the die, either online or at a good hardware store. Trying to thread when there is a groove is almost impossible. What you need to do is fill the groove, usually something like a pin and solder.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

If you plan to remove teh barrel to see if you can re-thread the blade, try a different barrel first. The steel in the tip assemblies is softer than the blade...mroe likely THOSE threads are screwed, not the blade ones.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

I'd agree with Sam that you try a new barrel first. The threading on barrels does get worn, or damaged if it was cross-threaded and then forced tight.

-Dave

5. El Chucko

El Chucko Rookie

PF and neevel,

Thanks. I agree, I would bet on it being the barrel, too. I just wanted to cover all the bases just in case.

DHC - thanks for the info.

Do ya think I can get away with using it as-is until I have to rewire it, and then worrying about the barrel issue? I just rewired it kinda recently...

6. fencinman89

fencinman89 Rookie

For now, if it works Super Glue it or Locktite it, but it may become a problem if it snaps off and the jagged threads are goin at someone at full lunge speed, Just a thought.
    -Tre'

7. downunder

downunder is a Verified Fencing Expertdownunder Podium

i've seen tips break off taking some of the threaded blade with it. Fix it now, less problems later.