Environmental Impact of Fencing Tournaments

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by teacup, Apr 29, 2019.

1. NipperDad

NipperDad Made the Cut

ReadyFence, teacup, Gav and 1 other person like this.
  2. teacup

teacup Podium

May I suggest these, about the same size as a single use bottle but won't collapse or leach plastic into the drinking water.

3. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

Better yet drink buckfast.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

What about bottled soft drinks? Gatorade? Orange juice? Milk?

What about bottled beer?! ;)

5. teacup

teacup Podium

Beer is usually in glass bottles. Milk, etc can also be in glass.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  6. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Or it’s finding a drinking fountain or the bathroom sink to fill your bottle partway. Happens at almost every NAC.

Gav likes this.
  7. Gav

Bottled water should be withdrawn from sale because it's impacts far outweigh any actual need for it's existence. The other things you list should probably be taxed and in fact are taxed in addition to the normal sales tax. Fizzy drinks should be very heavily taxed imo and this is something starting to happen here and across Europe generally.

Also all of these things can and have been bottled differently in the past.

In the UK the "milkman" used to use electrical vehicles to deliver fully recyclable liquid products (milk, fruit juices, eggs and more...) until the supermarkets purposely destroyed their businesses. That particular model was far more sustainable on a host of different metric than what it was replaced with. (un?) Ironically it's a service that's starting to come back.

I have no idea if you had anything similar in the US.

Peach likes this.
  8. Gav

Correct

9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Beer tastes better in cans. Stores better too.

10. Quinn

Quinn Made the Cut

Aluminium is one of the few materials that can be 100% recycled and be profitable. Cans aren't a problem as long as they are collected.

Privateer and Gav like this.
  11. Gav

Nope.

Malcolm Parry likes this.
  12. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

My preferred reusable water bottle would be of the shape and weight as a disposable water bottle. What I mostly do in practice is use a disposable water bottle but refill it until I lose it. But I've heard refilling this kind of water bottle too many times can introduce carcinogens into the water. But there are a few reasons I do this instead of using the proper disposable water bottle:
    - Lighter
    - Cheaper per bottle (i.e. I don't feel bad if I lose one)
    - Easier to drink out of than any reusable bottles I know

With that said, I definitely don't buy in the morning and throw out at the end of the day.

As for why tourists don't use to the water taps in Rome, I think it's a healthy human trait to not just assume running water in the street is potable. For all you know it's gutter water or washing water. Of course, once you're told it's fine to drink, then there's no excuse. I've been to Rome twice when temps were >100F and it's very nice to come across a refreshing fountain for refilling bottles and dousing clothes to cool off.

As for tournament venues, NACs have water stations but as previously mentioned they are very shoddy and hit or miss. Sometimes there are too few meaning you have to hunt too hard for them and they're often empty. Most local tournaments I go to don't have any bottle fill station. Typically a water fountain at best. Otherwise it's the sink which may only dispense warm water. Tournament organizers should encourage more recycling efforts.

13. teacup

teacup Podium

Older Canadians might remember when all beer was sold in the same stubby shaped bottles. (1963-1982) Each bottle had a deposit on it. So people would buy "Two four" cases of beer, put back the bottles in the original 24 box, save cases then take them all back to the beer store to get a new full case of beer with the returned deposit.

Milk was sold in imperial gallon plastic jugs which had a 40 cent deposit on them which people took back to the store for the deposit and a new jug.

These systems worked efficiently, but took a little effort by the consumer.

https://www.canadianliving.com/food...anadian-beer-bottles-do-you-know-your-history

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Does that include the carbonated waters like Perrrier?

Yeah, but to the extent that it's not recycled---and a lot of it isn't---glass is a lot worse than plastic out in the wild. It breaks, and then it's dangerous to humans and wildlife. And whereas a plastic bottle may take a thousand years to biodegrade away naturally, for glass it's more like a million years.

15. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm not at all sure I agree with that. Broken glass can cut you, but plastics release chemicals that can alter biology, which seems worse to me as a total effect.

And glass may take a million years to erode away, but for that whole time it's an inert solid, more or less a weird kind of rock. If it's on the beach, in a decade or so it will be as harmless as any other rock. Meanwhile, plastics are damaging when they're whole, they release damaging chemicals as they break down, and they're still dangerous even when they've broken down too small to see. They're a menace, we need to seriously crack down on them, IMO.

DangerMouse and jdude97 like this.
  16. neevel

neevel Armorer

Glass bottles and aluminium cans are both very easy to recycle. The problem with plastics is the multitude of types which need to be separated out from each other, and even then it’s not a simple process to reuse it.

Gav likes this.
  17. teacup

teacup Podium

Gav likes this.
  18. Gav

Correct.

And we've not even got into potential harm from plastics which leach out of the bottle itself and into the water it contains....

19. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

For a fairly good and brief synopsis of the realities of the situation:

Gav likes this.
  20. teacup

teacup Podium

So any suggestions as to how fencing can become more environmentally friendly?