Election Candidates

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Soberin, May 17, 2013.

1. Soberin

Soberin Podium

Any favorites?

2. Peach

Peach Podium

oiuyt for everything?

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I like pie. Especially with ice cream.

4. migopod

migopod Podium

Whomever isn't in favor of stupid rules about epee wiring.

Also pie and Oiuyt.

5. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

I think everything might be a bit much.

For those that may not have tied real-world people to FdN handles, I'm running for re-election to the Board of Directors as Volunteer Staff Director. Beyond my candidate statement, as posted to the USA Fencing website, I'm happy to answer questions about my experience, what I bring to the organization, or what I feel ought to be our priorities moving forward. Or my preferences in types of pie and ice cream.

Voting opens a bit under a week from now (May 23) and continues until June 10. I would appreciate your vote, as well as your support in conversations with other people. Please encourage other members to become informed and participate in the election process.

Bradley Baker

6. migopod

migopod Podium

What's your position on epee wiring?

7. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

I bet he's for it.

8. Peach

Peach Podium

Seriously, though, I am piqued that there are three good candidates for Volunteer Staff Director. All three have deep experience and are proven hard workers who are easy to work with. I gathered signatures for one petition, but Mary Griffith, Andrew Lambdin-Abraham, and Brad Baker all would make excellent board members.

That said, I think Brad's important to the continued improvement of the functioning of the Board. He knows how to interact courteously and knowledgeably with all the constituencies of the community, he has deep experience, he works hard, he listens, and he somehow manages to speak truth to power on a regular basis without having ended up tied up and unconscious in a dark alley.

Heck, the rest of the slate is equally vexing. There isn't anyone there (and I know most of them personally, in their many capacities in the community, over the course of many years) that I wouldn't be happy to see on the Board.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

We shall sweeten the offer by allowing you KD5MDK as minion.

10. DenverFencing

DenverFencing Made the Cut

I am Nathan Anderson, running in a non-Brad Baker category, for at-large seat on the US Fencing Board of Directors. You can read my candidate statement.

I think that the US Fencing Board needs more technological experience and people who have handled tremendous fencing business growth and that is why I am running. I think that I have a very successful track record of helping US Fencing in key situations and I could help more if I were involved in the leadership process.

As for epee wiring, I think that if the referee can see the insulation into the wire path and it re-appears when it connected to the socket, the fencer should not be forced to re-wire it to the outside. If they cannot see insulation arriving at the socket, then they can ask for the wiring to go to the outside.

I am willing to answer any other questions as well.

I ask for your vote in this upcoming election.

Thanks,

Nathan Anderson

11. Jason

Jason Podium

Most people don't realize it, but a warm slice of cherry pie with a scoop of chocolate ice cream is the most delicious combination of flavors the human mouth can experience. It is also, I believe, in favor of keeping all epee wiring rules consistent with international standards.

12. migopod

migopod Podium

Apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese is quite popular in Wisconsin.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

This is all very well, sir, but what have you to offer the vitally-important sabre fencers? ;)

14. fdad

fdad Podium

A follow up if I may, do you think the BoD should get involved (e.g. over-rule by "clarifying" the USA Fencing rule-book) in this decision by the FOC?

15. fencer-person

fencer-person Made the Cut

Brad: One of the main functions of a board of directors is to help drive fundraising. On most high-performing non-profits the board is contributing significant dollars personally, getting their friends to contribute AND they are also ensuring that the organization is raising funds. You've been on the board since 2003. How come we have yet to have any kind of real development work being done?

Will we see the USA Fencing board helping to raise funds and to prioritize this happening in the near future? What will you do personally to make this finally happen? We have an AMAZING donor base with our members and there is no excuse for our lack of fundraising. And, same question to any of the other candidates. Thanks!

16. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Good god, must people dump chocolate on everything? I sincerely think that by the time I die it will be standard to follow up a chocolate turkey with a chocolate after dinner martini every Thanksgiving.

Too little too late, you're dead to me. Chocolate ice cream on pie, jeez.

K O'N

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Fools! It's bacon! BACON!

18. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

As some people have noticed and referenced, I am also running for the position of Volunteer Staff Director. I have been interesting in and observing our Board for a number of years, and I think we need to improve how it operates and some of the goals it focuses on. I started a blog so that I could address more topics and in more detail than the 1 page candidate statement allowed and I'm happy to talk about things here as well. My candidate

To cover a few things that have come up in this discussion:
    I like cake more than pie and both more than death.
    I believe that in rules interpretations we should endeavor to align ourselves with the international consensus, and to work to change that consensus when it needs to be improved. This means people making these determinations should in general be active on the international stage.
    I do not believe the Board should step in and rule on a specific FOC decision. The Board has been far to involved in operational details and individual decisions which has seriously sapped its attention span away from far more important topics like where our organization is headed, our fiscal stability, whether we are making progress towards our goals, and our governance structure. If the Board keeps getting involved in these issues the organization going to suffer a lot more than it will if there are 1000 rewires caused by breaks during modification.
    When reviewing our committees and commissions, the Board needs to take in into account what each one was tasked with and what it accomplished. The FOC earlier reported an ambitious program of referee development at all levels. We'll need to see if they delivered that, or if a rules interpretation was their most visible new accomplishment.

Historically, I think the Board has been afraid to engage in direct fundraising because they were told by many people that the Association's finances and controls were so shoddy no serious donor would want to be associated with them. I don't think this is any longer the case and we've made a lot of progress that we can present on paying down our debt and improving our financial controls. I will be donating, and I know other candidates have donated as well. To my knowledge none of our candidates are people with deep pockets who are going to make a substantial difference personally to our overall financial situation. We have structured our Board to be member selected and responding to membership interests and the voting members have been mostly interested in organizational and operational issues. The Board's focus on operational issues have detracted from our fundraising mission and that's something that needs to improve.

I'm running because there are changes I want to see in what we focus on and this is the best way I know to drive that. I've waiting for the changes to come and they haven't on their own, so it's time to go out and put them on the agenda myself.

I appreciate everyone's support in voting for and in bringing my goals up when you discuss the election with other people interested in fencing.

19. Jason

Jason Podium

What a small and terrible prison you live in.

20. mgriff

mgriff DE Bracket

This completes the f.net triumvirate of Volunteer Staff Director candidates—but I don't understand why no one's mentioned the essential survival substance of coffee yet. (Admittedly, K O'N, I've often been known to drink mochas at NACs, but only when absolutely necessary for palatability.)

This link includes a contact form and a link to a slightly prettier version of my candidate flyer than the one on the USFA Elections page (same content, though). If you've got specific comments or questions for me, that contact form will get to me directly, whereas I might not see messages left here for a day or three, given that we're now well into "Ack! SN is coming!" time and I've a few items to take care of for that.

Otherwise, I'll be checking in here off and on.

Like Brad and Andy, I'd appreciate your vote, too--but you'll have to choose. (Just as an aside, I'd favor an all at-large slate of board candidates—almost always I'd prefer to vote for several in one category and none in another.)

Mary