Early Christmas present, aka a free scoring machine!

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by EricS, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EricS

EricS Rookie

That's right, a free scoring machine. (Some assembly required, batteries not included, your sanity not guaranteed upon completion)

As an early Christmas present, I have decided to release plans for a scoring machine design on my website. The design is secured under the GPL (GNU Public License), so I still own the copyright, but any of you are free to make any modifications, so long as those modifications are also freely available online.

GPL Scoring Machine

This design is a cleaned-up version of one of my old prototypes. It's a very different design than my Eclipse scoring machine. This is just about the simplest scoring machine possible, with only one chip (a microcontroller), a voltage regulator, and a few passive electrical components. You could build it on a breadboard in an evening.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, but please ask Google first. :)

--Eric

DHCJr, esskreemr and telkanuru like this.
  2. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

****ing awesome! I'm gonna have to build one of these.

3. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

Ballpark a do-it-yourself price?

4. poskat

poskat Rookie

i think we all love you now eric

thanks a mill for that...
    it ll give my club the possibility to get our own score boxes :grin:

5. i'mnottelling

i'mnottelling Rookie

Great! I'll take it to my university students. They are obsessed with building things.

i'mnt

6. Smyles

Smyles Rookie

Fantastic... I'm going to get on it staraight away :cool2:

7. epeeisky

epeeisky Rookie

As soon as I figure out what everything means I am going to try and build one.

How would you add a button that would switch from one weapon to the other?

8. Eduardo

Eduardo Rookie

EricS, if you remember the old Ataris and the cartridges with several games in them, you didn't need to turn the console off to switch to another game, there was a "reset" instead. Maybe you could use the same principle?

9. EricS

EricS Rookie

Glad to see I'm getting such a good response. Here are some answers to specific questions:

Q: larkmaj: Ballpark a do-it-yourself price?
    A: It depends; if you don't count the cost of the microcontroller programmer, it could be about $50. A cheap commercial programmer will run about $100, possible less.

Q: epeeisky: How would you add a button that would switch from one weapon to the other?
    A: You'll need to connect a switch to an unused I/O line. Connect one end of the switch to the IO line and a resistor to +5V, and connected the other end of the switch to ground. The I/O line will be high(logic 1) until you press the button, when it will go low (logic 0). The program will need to be modified to check for a button press, and to switch to the appropriate weapon program.

You could use a reset switch to change weapons. The machine looks for the foil closed circuit on powerup and it switches to the appropriate weapon. To get it into saber mode you have to cross the two sabers while you switch it on.

--Eric

10. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

great, i'm currently taking an embedded control class that deals with microcontrollers so i have a programmer. (i'm actually in the class right now)

11. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

This sounds like a fun project to build. I've got one of those project kits. It's fun to play with and is an excellent way to learn basic electronics.

You should start a version control system to keep track of the changes.

12. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

in order to keep up with any changes with timings or even things like removing off targets in foil, I believe all you would need to do is change the programming on the microcontroller which would just require another upload.

13. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

No, I meant for the schematics and what not. As people modify and add improvements, that changes would be available for everybody.

14. wingnut

wingnut Rookie

I hate to ask, but does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to assemble this unit??? I'd like to give it a try, but reading plans isn't my strongest suit.....but I figure if I mess it up, not a lot is lost.......

I'd like to incorporate the switch idea listed above, if anyone has done this. So I'd be looking for the directions (updated with a switch) and updated program code........

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!!! I know its a lot to ask......... :frightene

Thanks!
    Steve

15. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

your schematics call for a PIC16C57 microcontroller

according to the page on Microchip Technologies suggests using a PIC16F57 in its place. would that work?

what do the E,I/P,SP,SO,SS,SOG,SSG,PG at the end of the part numbers mean

i'm also having trouble finding a voltage regulator, the LM7805 is not avaliable either. i'm looking for a comparable replacement on mouser but unfortunately i'm not much of a electrical person so i don't really know what i'm looking at.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  16. EricS

EricS Rookie

The PIC16F57 should work, but I haven't tried it. You'll need to find out how to program it too. The E/I refer to the temperature ranges, and the SO/SS/P and so on refer to the package. The datasheet has more information on what those mean.

Mouser has LM7805s, but they call them L7805. I found them by searching for "LM7805" on their website. Radio Shack may still carry the LM7805, too.

17. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

You are looking for a X-> 5 V voltage regulator that can handle about 1 to 1.5 A of current, where X is the input voltage from your power supply, which will vary depending on if you use a battery pack, etc. Ther is also the LM319 which is an adjustable voltage regulator controled by a potentiometer on the middle pin.

A word of caution: DO NOT solder anything directly to the PIC. Get a 40-pin socket instead.

Also remember that if you're using a transformer that you should properly stabilize the power input with multiple medium-sized capacitors. Your box might otherwise act like it's from triplette.

18. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

I assume the two capacitors around the voltage supply are sufficient?

19. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

depending on the capacitance, yes. Every power supply I build has a full-wave rectifyer, fuse, and 2-4 3300 uF capacitors. I am personally going to try a 4 x AA battery pack to begin with.

20. larkmaj

larkmaj Rookie

Wow, you seem to know a lot of EE stuff for a Mechy.