Does anyone know where I can wholesale buy Allstar or Uhlmann body cord cable?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by David Standen, Jul 28, 2018.

1. David Standen

David Standen Rookie

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can wholesale buy Allstar or Uhlmann body cord cable? I have looked around and can only find Negrini and Favero for available wholesale. Thanks

2. neevel

neevel Armorer

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I use the bulk Favero stuff and it does pretty well. I've seen some Uhlmann cords with what looks like some pretty beefy silver-coated wiring but I haven't got my hands on any.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I've assembled three vendor's parts on one cord.

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Now you've done it!
    Prepare for a series of posts from armorers who are building cords using parts from five or six vendors, plus some parts from their favorite non-fencing electronics supplier...

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

We've tried speaker-, zip- and heavy-duty power cords but found them too stiff. But for alligator clips...

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Well, since you mentioned it....

I used to use Favero cable (I like to be able to see a break in the wire, plus the C line is indicated) and plugs for my inventory...it costs me $5 less to buy the parts and make them myself, plus it allows me to put on heat shrink for the strain relief (which I feel is better than the thin rubber), use an A clip for foil/sabre WITH the screw (the Mueller 27, which I've gone over many times) and a stacked strain relief, and to make that A line significantly longer than Favero makes it, meaning you can do a repair and not have it be too short.

Additionally, I use the spare A line cord to make mask cords.

Epee cords remain unchanged, however, I am moving to Uhlmann 2 pin ends for the foil/sabre cords....getting VERY tired of seeing Favero casings with the shell over the B pin broken off...and Favero doesn't just sell that half of the casing.

Uhlmanns are a touch more expensive, but I haven't seen the breakage issue with them.

If I ever get the funds to 3D print a copy of the front side of the Favero casing so I can easily replace it, I'll move back to Favero for that part.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You could probably reattach the broken-off piece with superglue, epoxy or Shoe Goo. Or use the Shoe Goo to replace the broke-off piece---it forms pretty well and dries hard.

9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Chipping off the shoo-goo to fix a bad pin connection will be nightmarish. And would it be legal..

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I don't see why not. Nothing I can see in the rules prohibiting it.

I have used it on many a body cord without issue. Only duct tape is ahead of it as a general fix-all.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

No issues with legality I know of...it's not hiding a switch, after all.

The problem with simply gluing the broken piece is FINDING it....I have yet to do so, even on my own cords in the club....by the time you realize the casing;s broken, the missing piece is long gone.

12. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

The whole two prong Favero shell is only something like two or three dollars for all three parts. You can't get much cheaper than that Sam unless you want to buy tip screws one at a time.:)

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I would agree.... but it's having the supply of just that half of the shell I'd like to have on hand...and I can't seem to convince Favero that it's an issue, in spite of sending them pictures...I have to buy the whole plug head.

While that DOES solve the issue and get the fencer a new head, it's wasteful to me.

As for the price...you're forgetting shipping costs. Sure, the plastic parts from Favero are listed at $1.6 euro, but shipping from Italy would raise that significantly.

Sure, I'd have the part that breaks and the clip, but I'd be chucking the bottom half of the shell, which does not have the same breakage issues (as it's protected by the grip).

14. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Sam,

What is the funds issue for the mold? Is it getting it scanned or having someone print up a bunch of copies of it which would be time consuming.

15. brtech

brtech Podium

The reason they don't sell half of the shell is that the mold they have makes both halves in one shot. They can't make more of one side than the other.

16. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

Let me solve your problem Sam. Use half the shell to fix the body cord and use the other half and the clip to make a pair of earrings that you sell for $5. Problem solved!

Or you could just tell the fencer you only sell the whole shell like everyone else does. ;)

17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sam, Sam, Sam,
    You are trying to convince Gino to just sell you one side of a two prong end?? Really??
    Man - o - man am I gonna hear about that one from him.
    OK: get your wire cutters out, cut that bad end off, strip it, tin it, put it back together with a new one and call it a day.
    The darn injection mold, trying to separate them as pieces, A side, B side, (Texan) it ain't gonna happen at Favero. Nope!

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I dislike charging clients for a full plug head when they only need one part of it. I DO it, because that's the only way to replace that half of the shell, but I don't like doing it.