Do You Have to Have the Flag Mask for Vet Worlds?

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by Inquartata, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Since I can't get an answer on this from the NO, perhaps someone who's been to Vet Worlds recently can advise whether the flag on the mask is required for the competition? It didn't exist the last time I competed in an FIE event, but I understand that sometimes they get fussy about all competitors from a country having "identical" uniforms.

I plan on using my plain LP X-Change FIE mask, which has no flag anodized onto it. Will this be acceptable?

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The quality of the equipment inspection will be hit or miss. Some events just look at a minimum (ie. nothing) and others will look at everything with a fine tooth comb.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That is my fear. I don't think the "identical" business is in the rules anywhere, but I have heard that at some World Cups fencers were told that even socks had to be identical, and in one case there was even a demand that all sabre gloves had to be by the same maker. Which is pretty draconian, but I would not like to spend all of that money getting there only to find that I could not fence because some martinet of an FIE official decreed that everyone had to have their national flag on their sabre mask.

4. mfp

mfp Podium

It is not required.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Here are a couple of documents from the FIE website.

See page 2 on http://static.fie.org/uploads/17/88987-Masques approuves cex.pdf

http://static.fie.org/uploads/3/18830-weapons and equipment control.pdf

Once again, I stress that the inspection process in other parts of the world is hit or miss affair. What equipment being inspected during the inspection process may be dependent on which SEMI representative is in charge.

In the US, we don't do a full equipment inspection at the NACs or Summer Nationals either.

6. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

As mfp said, flag mask not required. However my experience at 4 Vet Worlds has not been that inspection has been hit or miss; but rather that it is almost arbitrarily persnickety and very inefficient and slow. I recommend that you have present all your gear for inspection as early as possible. My event has been the first event of the first day multiple times. Weapons check usually opens at 10 am the day before; and on more than one occasion, I have been told that I can pick my equipment up at 5 pm - which is problematic if anything fails.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

And what sort of control crew the SEMI rep has to work with. In a host country with a well-developed armory community you can expect a thorough control. In other host countries, the SEMI rep may be the only person in the control crew with extensive control experience.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

9. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

m.25 is the applicable rule. There were a couple of relatively recent* relevant changes. The national uniform is defined as including the socks, the knickers, and the jacket (formerly also including the conductive jacket in foil and sabre). Additional text was added to m.25.3.e to remove the (mis)interpretation that the requirement for identical uniforms extended to include the manufacturer (or, rather, the manufacturer's marks). The same change also explicitly allowed non-identical sponsors' logos.

B

* Approved at the 2015 FIE Congress and effective 1/1/2016