Do you get a discount or pay a surcharge when you order through a club?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by AndI, Nov 1, 2018.

1. AndI

AndI Rookie

It appears that clubs can get a discounted rate from equipment / gear suppliers. It came up in Google that Absolute Fencing offers up to 20% off to clubs and coaches, but this information may be dated.

Our local club keeps a fairly good selection of Absolute Fencing items in stock locally and adds on average $6 - $7 to retail price (i.e., to the MSRP listed on Absolute Fencing web site) of the items that they sell, so their price is higher than the price on Absolute web site. Taking into account shipping which one has to pay when ordering from the internet, it comes about even (at least, if you buy just a single item - more expensive if you buy multiple items), but it goes against the idea that the club would get a discounted rate from a vendor and would offer certain savings to its members by sharing a part of the discount, or at the very least, offer MSRP pricing without shipping charges.

What is your experience with your club? Do you pay more when ordering items through the club, or less? Do you get any savings on price or on shipment?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

At one of our old clubs, they passed the Absolute discount on to us, which was great for Nike shoes. We order all of our kit direct from another supplier rather than through a club now.

I would not blame a club for making a bit of money on equipment- in order to keep stock on hand, they are placing a bet when they order it that they will resell it, plus they have to store it, etc.

AndI likes this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I do orders for the Y and Univ using my coach discount. I pass on the discount, and we split the shipping. The discount, as you noted, just about covers shipping. I agree with ReadyFence about taking a risk when they order items to hold in stock. If someone asks for a repair and I need to use from my (personal) equipment, I ask them to pay list.

4. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Clubs can get a discount, if they ask for it. I don't really see the issue with a business trying to make money. You want a business to give things away for free, which is all well and good for the customer. but consider that 1) your club purchases gear ahead of time with only the hope that it will be resold, 2) the business has to allocate additional space for that equipment, and 3) someone at the club has to spend their time purchasing, inventorying, selling, stocking and auditing all of this. All of this costs time and money, which I doubt the club is really making back by charging so little overhead as what you're saying.

AndI and InFerrumVeritas like this.
  5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Almost agree with you. The OP suggested it was list-price, PLUS additional. So the club is getting the discount (15-20%), plus a surcharge.
    Of the three clubs I visit most, only one has a 'pro shop'. The others don't, but will help you figure out what to order and have a workbench with plenty of people to help.

6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

i'm not sure what point you disagreed with. so the club is getting 17-25% above their cost. that's still not a lot of overhead considering what goes into running a small club store like that. For comparison, absolute and blue gauntlet usually gets their products at around 50-60% of what they charge for them (depending on suppliers, etc).

So a fencing mask might cost Absolute around $30. They normally charge $60. They give a "club discount" price for $48, with shipping... which costs the club somewhere close to $55-58. The club then charges $66-67, so maybe a $10-12 profit... which almost but just barely doesn't cover the cost of all the time and overhead i previously mentioned.

7. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

If you consider a standard 40-60% retail markup, that surcharge, which probably is to cover the cost of shipping, is perfectly reasonable. You have somewhere you can just go and buy equipment, rather than purchasing and waiting for it ship. You can try things on without having to pay to go to a NAC.

If you need to make a big order, do it through the website. If you need one item (new blade the Thursday before an event), then the pro shop is a reasonable deal. And you support the club, without which you wouldn't have a place to fence.

jdude97, Strytllr and AndI like this.
  8. abouttothunder

abouttothunder Made the Cut

At my first club, I ordered what I needed through the club. The club absorbed shipping and kept the discount. I paid list price and supported my club. They placed orders often enough that the delay was only minor. The advice on what to buy early in my fencing career helped a great deal. Now I pick up most of what I need at NACs, with the exception of the odd mask cord and occasional complete weapon for my kid, who wanted a particular sabre setup, and me because I know nothing about epees.

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I'm staying out of this one :)
    You guys have fun

Gary Spruill

10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I think it's worth noting that most vendors do not provide a discount to clubs so that any club member (that is, for all practical purposes, any fencer) can receive this discount. It is there so that clubs can outfit and maintain their equipment, and generally to facilitate large orders.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah.....I'm with you on that one.

12. jkormann

jkormann Podium

This is true. However, if I'm placing an order and some others want to join in to save on shipping, I don't have a problem with it. As others noted, the discount effectively negates the shipping charge. Not all of us live near a club that has a pro-shop, near the vendor, or get to tournaments with vendors.

13. Privateer

Privateer Podium

most consumables I don't order through the club because they don't stock the type of stuff I want (because most of our fencers don't buy what I buy). I'm close enough to fencing post my orders get here quick enough. Our club has a supplier in China and they order a pallet of 'stuff' about twice a year.