Do not be me

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by cowpaste, Jul 29, 2004.

1. cowpaste

cowpaste Rookie

Tomorrow, there is a local tournament, so naturally I decide it's a great time to rewire my spare weapon. Everything goes fine until the bottle of superglue decides to leak. I don't feel anything of course and proceed to cover the fingers of both hands in superglue. Then I pick up a piece of tissue on the ground to throw away while I wait for the glue to dry. I experience tissue+glue+skin. I go check on the blade a little later and find out that a few drops of glue have fallen directly on the tang of my blade, where I have wrapped excess wire of course. A partial acetone bath in a Red Bull bottle later plus some time, and I'm completely finished except for the tip tape. My evil mother decides to call me. I tapeify my tip while talking to my mother and manage to unscrew the tip off the blade.
    This is why you should not talk on cell phones while driving.
    I quit fencing forever dammit.

2. Iwant2bafencer

Iwant2bafencer Rookie

haha we all have crappy moments, but if you like fencing then don't quit just because you had some glue and tip troubles. If it's fun, then keep going.

3. lochinvar

lochinvar Rookie

Wait--you were trying to tape your tip while driving and talking on a cell phone?? :eek: :eek:

I can see why you had problems!

4. Artisan

Artisan Rookie

Your tip was loose anyway - thank your mom for helping you find it before it cost you a yellowcard or a touch.
    - think about getting more spare weapons: 2 or 3 would be better.

5. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

Heres another bummer, I superglued my hand to my blade while I was home alone, I rip the blade off my hand, and a layer of skin comes off also.... ow!

6. great bowyer

great bowyer Rookie

that is why i made sure everyone i live with know that if they bother me while i am working on my weapons they will experience my wrath.

7. Artisan

Artisan Rookie

One word: Acetone

Which is a good reason to always remember and never forget: always resist the urge to scratch your package when working with CA adhesive.
    :jester:

8. greenchick

greenchick Rookie

And here I was thinking the one-word solution was: Sabre.

mrbiggs likes this.
  9. Peach

Peach Podium

High-five!! Good one.

10. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Ă„lskling

Sorry, I don't feel one bit sorry for you. Our local tournaments probably won't start until late August, even then, there probably won't be much...

You seriously use superglue to rewire your weapons? HHHHuhhhhhh (long sigh). Superglue works fine for fast fixes, but just doesn't have the right properties to make it a good blade glue in any capacity...

11. cowpaste

cowpaste Rookie

I'm an avid fan of superglue. It's fast and cheap. I pretty much refuse to use anything else. If fact, both of my weapons are superglued, and both have been wired only once (1 year + for both weapons). The only reason I was redoing my spare was because my tip BROKE. That is, the head of the tip broke off while leaving stuff still in the barrel. The foil still didn't white light, but I couldn't score any points like that. I had to redo my whole foil because I'm away from home right now, and everyone here uses Chinese/German tips, and my existing tip was French.

My tip wasn't loose in the beginning. I just kept on twisting absentmindly to make sure the tip tape was on tight. I finally realized what I was doing when the whole tip come off. Also, I should mention that I was using crappy screw hole design German tips. I was put a piece of aluminum in between the tip tape and head to help prevent screw mashing. Fiddling with keeping that in place in addition to the distraction that was my mother caused me to unscrew the foil tip.

12. MikeHarm

MikeHarm Rookie

The glue on finger's issue can be avoided completely if you slip on a pair of rubber gloves before you get to work with the glue.

:cool2:

13. Louweasel

Louweasel Rookie

Poor cowpaste! :(

Here's an especially appropriate-to-you joke, to cheer you up:

Q: What goes "ooooooo"?

A: A cow with no lips.

:jester:

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Speaking of no lips, I'm waiting for cowpaste to tell us about how he forgot and took a drink from that Red Bull bottle....

15. lochinvar

lochinvar Rookie

Inq, you are one sick puppy...

16. Max

Max Rookie

Dude, that sword sounds scary. Held together by chewing gum and aluminum foil even. God, I love Saber.