Difference Between Women's and Men's Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by chinbeard, May 13, 2009.

1. chinbeard

chinbeard Rookie

Here is a purely hypothetical question:

Besides the frisbee pockets, is there really a noticeable difference between men's and women's fencing uniforms?

2. riceboy

riceboy Made the Cut

Women's Jackets have additional darts and shaping to accommodate their differently shaped chests. They also usually have pockets for the hubcap breast protectors. There is a very significant difference in the way that they look.

As to the knickers, I'm not sure. Most of the knickers i've seen are pretty much the same, but they may have a slightly fuller hip area to deal with the slightly different body shapes.

3. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Women's clothing fit women much better. They have tailoring for our curvier bodies.

4. whiteandbluefencer

whiteandbluefencer Rookie

Too bad most fencing companies still give me men's stuff because I happen to take a larger size...

I'm wearing a "real" women's jacket for the first time, after having visited the Leon Paul store in London last weekend :)D so happy with it). But they still gave me men's knickers, which bothers me because they are tight around the hips/bottom and then really loose higher up on the waist. A woman has hips, but then she's much thinner in the middle. Men's knickers don't accommodate our build. How hard is it to make a template for larger women's sizes?

5. chinbeard

chinbeard Rookie

So would I still look like Bob from fight club even if I'm flat?

6. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

I'm not sure what size range you're looking for but Absolute typically makes Women's jackets up to size 52 (For 46-48" chest) and Knickers for up to a 38 inch waist.

Aside from Frisbee pockets and dart seams (what makes the jacket's chest pleat outward), a generalization of the shape difference between Men and Women's jackets is essentially a long rectangle vs. a considerably less pinched hourglass shape. The Men's jackets typically have no shape on the sides at all, it just shoots straight down, and also the shoulders are broader.

Knickers just give more room in the butt/thigh area for Women.

7. whiteandbluefencer

whiteandbluefencer Rookie

I have about a 46" chest measurement, and about a 40" waist measurement. I'm very happy with my new LP clothing, just wishful thinking that the pants would fit as well as the jacket (but even then they're not that bad). This gear fits better than anything I've ever worn, especially because everything else I've ever worn has been designed for men.

I also bought a new lame, even though I prefer epee... I can't believe how well this lame fits me. It actually makes me wish I liked foil more than epee... but only a tiny, tiny bit... ;)

All other foil lames I've worn have either left me unable to breathe, or they look like I'm wearing a potato sack :eek:.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Now waiting for a men's jacket designed for us older ones....the pear shape!
    Aaaannnnd cue Sir Mix-a-Lot!

9. Delta

Delta Rookie

Different shoulder to waist ratio, waist to hip proportion in the cut, and the circumference of the arm cut in jackets in noticeably smaller. Some brand of jackets also accomodate for the curves by adding an additional flair at the bottom hem of the jacket so the overall look is more seamless. I haven't ever used a women's jacket, usually because the arm of the women's jacket being too tight.

10. Karinka

Karinka Rookie

I wish I could find fencing shoes for women. The "unisex" men's shoes are just too wide....even with an extra pair of socks. Asics used to make the Tiger shoe...in both women and men's versions. For whatever reason, they no longer make them.

Karinka
    ---)------------
    Salute!

11. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

Nylon Jackets should be fine even with the straight cut on the sides since they'll just stretch in the areas that are a little wider. Just look for anything that's entirely made out of stretch material, opposed to stretch panels.

12. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

Most of the shoes Adidas makes, run narrow (En Guard, D'Artagnan II, the Old Black & Silver Adistars). The Viktoria fencing shoes run pretty narrow too, and in my opinion.. look pretty feminine.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The operative word there being a "little" wider!!

14. antoinette

antoinette Rookie

I have a LP competition jacket and it fits beautifully - perfect fit for a curvier body. I was really impressed with the proportions and shaping. I couldn't be happier with it - almost as if it were custom-made for me. Even the sleeves are right - I need them slightly longer than typical sleeve length.

15. Rockstar44

Rockstar44 Rookie

Yes. Women's fencing uniforms just look so much better than men's uniforms, because they usually have women inside of them.

Nolano and thetortfeasor like this.
  16. Wetmelon

Wetmelon Made the Cut

+10 lol

17. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

More room in the knickers and a little flared at the bottom for those of us that were "blessed" with "Child bearing hips!"