Diabetic pump and fencing competition

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Sébastien Mahieu, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Sébastien Mahieu

Sébastien Mahieu Made the Cut

Question from a french fencer ;)
    How do you manage with your diabetic pump when you are doing fencing competition?

Do you remove it, do you keep it?
    How do you protect it?

2. echmielewski

echmielewski Rookie

I keep the pump itself on my off-weapon side, clipped on to my shorts that I wear under my knickers. That pretty much keeps it out of the way. Can be a little tricky, but I can access it fairly easily during the tournament in this position.

Ideally, if I can time the infusion change to the tournament date, I try to have the infusion site on my off weapon leg. For those times that I didn't do this, I have yet to have an issue.

I don't personally protect my pump (other then the default silicon wrap), infusion site or CGM. I've thought about adding a layer of neoprene or other substance over it, but I've yet to run into an issue by not having it.

3. Sébastien Mahieu

Sébastien Mahieu Made the Cut

Thanks for your answer, I'm using such belt Purpose of this belt is to keep the pump on my back, and have "tubing" stick to my body as I'm trying to keep it as much as possible under this belt. I usually have my CGM on my left side and the infusion site on the right because I'm right-handed ;)

When I'm dressing, I have to take care that my trouser is going up enough and under my jacket, but during competition, I can look at my pump without "undressing".

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

I've heard of some people making plastic guards (often from plastic procured by cutting up plastic bottles) to provide an additional degree of protection. This may be a bit of overkill, given the relatively small risk of something at the back being hit to begin with plus the uniform covering everything however so long as it and allows them to feel more secure without interfering with the rules (i.e. won't catch a point or prevent an opponent's touch from registering) then it shouldn't be a problem.