Details about pieces

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Archerlite, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Archerlite

Archerlite Made the Cut

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new foil, and, while looking what the different online shops sold, I've seen two things :

– Some accurate products are difficult to choose on internet (like handle, shoes or glove)
    – There is not so much real shops where you can test them.

So I propose you to talk about what you currently use, and why, and give the details that you don't find on the online shops.

For example, I'm currently interested in the Mag-Tec Extra-Light handle from Leon Paul, but they have only one size.
    Can someone tell what are it's measurements please ?

2. keropie

keropie Podium

Ways to put your hands on some equipment before you purchase:
    - larger events often have vendors (I don't see where you are located, but NACs and larger ROCs in the US could be examples)
    - larger events have many fencers, who might let you hold their equipment
    - your club mates might have stuff you can hold/test out

I don't know that measurements of a grip will help much in terms of how it feels, and the balance of a weapon with it. Personally, I find medium grips too large. Also, you can generally converse via email with LP and get responses.

3. Archerlite

Archerlite Made the Cut

Hi, thanks,

I'm located in France, so, even big competitions have only one vendor, and often the friend of the Organisator.

I'll try to ask the fencers, but as often a referee, I'm not sure they will accept, and I don't ever have the time (because refs don't have pauses between matches ;) )

My club mates don't have anything interesting for me, I've already seen.
    I'm not looking for the balance, or feeling, just to know if I can put my finger (which are pretty long) between the handle and the guard. So I'd compare the measurements with my current handle.

But this topic is for everyone, like armorers who wouldn't open a topic for just a tip, or fencers who look for socks, etc...

4. keropie

keropie Podium

Well, for specific measurements on the grip I'd probably see if Leon Paul can give you an answer.
    For me, I typically use small Uhlman/Allstar Visconti grips, I typically like the Scaroni blades (hard to find now), FWF German 'Extra' tips, steel guard (prefer rolled), FWF two prong German-style socket, felt thumb pad. But my hands aren't very big, and I like to hit people in the back.

Uniform wise, I really like the Absolute FIE Signature, and I've tried on the LP Apex Uniform which also feels really good. I use Nike shoes, LP Gripstar (or whatever it's called) glove, and an LP plastron (I'm anti velcro on plastrons). I typically wear soccer socks. Negrini lame, though I might try a LP lightweight lame someday.

I did find this page (http://www.amfence.com/html/foil_grips.html#grip-info) which gives some guidance on grip sizes by glove size, if that helps.