Designated Int. Calendar

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by kmecke, Jun 17, 2016.

1. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

Has anyone noticed that Cadets (both girls and boys) have a designated event over Thanksgiving weekend?
    I'm so shocked that I don't know how I should feel about that.

2. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

You're right; it's a great weekend for designated events. Fewer missed school days and an opportunity to extend the trip to actually see something in the location.

B

Conrad, miniblue and jdude97 like this.
  3. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

No missed school days, excellent.
    Airport delays, prices, blackout dates for using points, plane + train, and traveling alone, not good.
    Families separated at Thanksgiving, bad.
    It's like a destination weddings at Christmas. 'Sounds like a good idea that the time but isn't really sensitive to others.
    Is there any chance it will change?

4. pillow

pillow Podium

No it will not change. There have been many Cadet and Junior events over Thanksgiving in the past, especially MF. This is completely normal. The FIE calendar will not change, nor will the USFA list of Designated events. At the risk of sounding harsh, which I do regularly, I suggest you accept reality. If you are the parent, guardian, or coach of a Cadet /Junior fencer going for a National Team, this is the least of your problems. You may have to reconsider your family's commitment to fencing the international events and whether or not making a National Team is a priority. If your fencer is not going for a Team, then it doesn't matter, so you can all stay home and enjoy your turkey together. Or you can get with the program, and realize that next year your kid may be fencing IN Turkey.

miniblue, jdude97 and ReadyFence like this.
  5. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

Well your blunt-ness is fine. I don't mind. The only part that's rather offensive is "get with the program".
    Perhaps you've been involved for a long time, and you lose your patience when a new age group pops up each year.
    I have been checking Fencing.net for 3+ years and I haven't come across this before, so you get to explain it one...more...time.
    So maybe you know...what was wrong with Copenhagen? International airport, no blackout dates. Why change?

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Well considering it's not a major holiday in other countries (not even Canada) I wouldn't expect the world to be working around our calendar.

And BTW, there's a domestic SYC over the holiday weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) and it gets plenty of fencers.

miniblue likes this.
  7. teacup

teacup Podium

Every year, the October NAC is held on the Monday of the Canadian Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving was held in Canada before the US.

"English explorer Martin Frobisher hosted the first Canadian Thanksgiving. It was held in what is now Newfoundland during his expedition's attempts to find the Northwest Passage to the Orient in 1578 and marked their safe arrival to the New World. So it was not hosted to celebrate a bountiful harvest. With time, French, Scottish and German immigrants to Canada added some of their traditions to the harvest festival. American traditions like the turkey were added by the United Empire Loyalistsaround the time of the American Revolution.

The first American Thanksgiving was celebrated 43 years later in 1621 at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in Massachusetts."

Over the years many cadet circuit and junior world cups held on the weekends before and after US Thanksgiving have been designated US events. When both weekend events have been designated, rather than flying back and forth, and with minimal school missed, many fencers choose to stay in Europe for the week in between.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    ReadyFence likes this.
  8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

USFA has long-standing relationships with certain events and organizers. One cadet designated sabre event was actually changed this time, after the same three tournaments have been designated for years now. Juniors are similar. Occasionally a different tournament is designated, but it's rare.

9. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

Thanks teacup. Sounds like they were a little more resilient and resourceful than those poor pilgrims. Hopefully Canadian Thanksgiving isn't an airline nightmare. I can picture the Air Canada flight attendants apologizing at every turn.

ahh, but now I am getting more curious readyfence. Is there a reason that they replaced Copenhagen, which would not have conflicted with any US dates, with Grenoble, which falls on Thanksgiving weekend?

My first concerns still stand:
    -16 yr olds flying by themselves on the 2 busiest travel days of the entire year.
    -adding a train to the picture because there are no flights to Grenoble from CDG
    -Might not be able to use points as Delta will often block dates in and out of North America on partner flights (AF). We'll see. Maybe. (I just got locked out after 3 wrong guesses on my password.)

Don't get me wrong, DS will be happy to go to France. He was born there, started fencing there, and will certainly run into friends from his old club, but jeez louise. Make it harder on the parents, whydontcha.

SevenDad likes this.
  10. mfp

mfp Podium

I've fled the US and flown internationally over Thanksgiving for each of the last 19 years.

International travel from the US can be cheaper and easier over the Thanksgiving holiday than other weeks. The masses are travelling domestically not internationally. Great deals on international flights, either paid or via points, are often available.

If parents are concerned about airport lines they should get their kids (and themselves) Global Entry.

11. kmecke

kmecke Made the Cut

That's good to hear. The majority of kids from this area are definitely not rich (or spoiled ;-)), but they love to compete, and certainly have a good time wherever they go.

12. teacup

teacup Podium

- While many of the same tournaments are designated, they are not always the same as the locations and dates of EFC and FIE events do change. Note the JWC in Bratislava is not on the calendar.

- If kmecke is referring to the CME in Copenhagen. It is one of the weakest ECC events, so Bratislava, Grenoble and Bratislava is a better cross section of European fencers. But why the isn't the CME in Budapest ever designated? Especially, since US epee fencers have such a hard time beating Hungarians. (Not to mention Budapest is easy to get to.)

- To get to Grenoble, one does not have to fly through Paris. Fly into Lyon or Geneva. (As Grenoble is a ski resort there are even buses from Lyon to Grenoble, if you don't want to take the train.)

- Some of the ECC events have mixed team events, similar to the Cadet Team event at Worlds. Will the US organizing mixed teams?

- There might be more complaints about the events that are designated during exam week prior to Winter Break than events designated over Thanksgiving.

13. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

When this came up a while ago, someone said "it's pretty much the same tournaments every year" and I pointed out that, at least for CWE, the middle event has changed venues from year to year in recent history. And voila!

I don't mind the timing of Grenoble so much, TBH. As people above have noted, at least the kids have off that week. If we go, will probably try the Lyon route.

14. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

One thing strange: there's a senior men's sabre Grand Prix in Seoul, KOR, on March 31-April1 but the Junior/Cadet Worlds are scheduled to start on April 1 in Plovdiv. In the last few years they were careful not to have a senior World Cup or Grand Prix during the dates of the Junior/Cadet Worlds. Since the cadet events are first at the J/C WC, it shouldn't impact the fencers too much but it does mean that they're stretching their sabre referees. I wonder if they'll press the Koreans to move the Grand Prix to the week before.

15. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

FWIW, every time I've gone to Grenoble I went through Geneva and it was very easy, except the 5am train back.

16. C18913

C18913 Rookie

Carversville, Pennsylvania, United States
    I'm still struggling with the new USA fencing website. Can someone point me to where I could find the international calendar? Thanks.

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

18. C18913

C18913 Rookie

Carversville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks!!

19. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Can someone with experience chime in on Munich vs. Vienna to Klagenfurt?

20. CrestonB

CrestonB Podium