Demise of 14 meters

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by naysayernyc, Sep 13, 2018.

1. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Just got email from 14 meters the online notebook for personal fencing results. Shuttering their site as a result of Usfa not giving them access to regional competition results. They used to get results from usfa for nacs/nationals and askfred for the regionals. Was actually useful for youth fencers. Another unintended casuality of the registration migration onto usfa.

2. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

they also provided hosting for the online referee test, which will now need to find a new host (according to the RC report in the latest meeting updates)

3. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

This is not a change that appears to have had any benefits at all up to this point.

Let us hope for better in the future.

4. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

I feel like its important to mention this, but I am the owner of 14meters. I also own this website. The operation of 14meters has historically allowed me to pay the bills for running this forum, which operates at a loss. I also hosted and administered the RC exam, including running email and phone support - all at cost.

I offer these up as facts without my own personal opinion on the situation included.

5. CBS

CBS Rookie

Just a sincere note to thank you very much for doing that - please know that these efforts have been much appreciated!

6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Thank you. For everything. :) I appreciate all of it.

7. darius

darius Podium

Well, revenue and data that previously allowed FRED (and 14m) to stay in business is now going to USA Fencing. Some might consider that a benefit.

8. pillow

pillow Podium

You mean all the adverts for chain link and storm fencing that follow me on this site are not enough to keep you in the black?

9. Mitchell

Internet ads ain't what they used to be. Quick sales pitch: GoGreen membership removes forum ads (and I'm working on figuring out how to cross it over to the WP side too)

It undoubtedly is a benefit, as I think we all want the NGB of the sport to succeed. It just also comes at a cost, particularly given the way it was rolled out. I think that many of the costs in this case were hidden or simply not considered by the decision makers.

10. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Mitchell, I'd be happy to "go green", but it seems I can't do it without creating a PayPal account, which I don't care to do. Is there some other payment method? Feel free to contact me by PM.

11. Zebra

Zebra Podium

We need a way to DM Mitchell a beer or six.

12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Dun dun duuuun... :eek:

I used to be "Green", but it became so hard to do it. ( Craig used to let me mail him a check, but still it was a lot of effort. ) And every time the site format or software or whatever changed so did the path to doing it, and I have marginal skills with that sort of thing at best..

13. Mitchell

Don't worry, not gonna close this place up. It was more a commentary on the space. Its hard to generate revenue in fencing in anything except gear and coaching. I found a way, and now its gone.

Regarding PayPal and other GoGreen issues, I'll take a look at our options this weekend.

Inquartata likes this.
  14. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

The destruction of intellectually free and open spaces for information sharing and discussion, independent of the official governing body, should neither be encouraged nor celebrated. FdN is crucial to our community to freely and authentically share information with each other in a space of civil discourse and honesty. We didn't really share our thoughts or insights into the governance structure of the organization, for example, before FdN. We do not want the only independent voices of our sport to become silenced by the PR of our NGB.

Mac A. Bee, jfarmer and Inquartata like this.
  15. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

Motion to pay Mitchell in Bitcoin.

jfarmer likes this.
  16. darius

darius Podium

Nobody is suggesting that USA Fencing shouldn't make money.

However, any time that the organization is using their monopoly status to roll out huge changes, I think it's well worth considering the effects on the entire ecosystem, and making sure they test those changes in advance, rather than letting everybody discover them accidentally. It also doesn't inspire confidence when a new system doesn't have the features of the old one it replaced.

17. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I don't mind a $12/year subscription, but you should have a Paypal tip jar button as well. I was going to toss you $20, but that wasn't an option that I saw. A new fencing parent who comes here, searches the forum and finds something about shoes or blades or uniforms or when to go to a NAC that saves them $200 in equipment or $1000 in travel costs may well feel happy enough about it to want to toss you a few bucks as a thanks, but may not want to set up a recurring charge.

DangerMouse, CBS and Steve Khinoy like this.