December NAC invite

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by NKFA, Nov 21, 2018.

1. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

Hello fellow VETs!
    My salle (NKY Fencing Academy, NKFA) is in Ludlow, KY, across the river from the convention center in downtown Cincinnati. We are about 2 miles ($5 uber ride?) from the venue.
    If you are going to be in town and are looking for a place close by to fence few friendly bouts and have a drink, I'd like to invite y'all to stop by and say hi! We are a smaller club, have 8 strips with VSM scoring and about 10-20 fencers on any given night looking to bout. We are epee only so if you are looking to fence foil or saber, better bring a friend along!
    We are located at 301 Elm St, Ludlow KY 41016 and our website is http://nkyfencing.com/. Our salle is on top of a rum, bourbon and moonshine distillery and a coffee shop, right on the main drag of a small river town. There are tons of food options around, including a circus/brewery right across the street!
    I am open to offering extra hours, or day time hours if there is any interest.
    Looking forward to meeting some of you in December!
    Ned, NKFA

ktinoue3 likes this.
  2. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Appreciate the offer. Differing philosophies about risks taken before a major event. I remember Paul Soter, US epee coach during the Olympics in Greece, told me that 50% of the effort was getting the fencer to the strip with all their equipment. For VET's it's getting to the strip uninjured.;)

But how about details of the local weather and things to do?

NKFA likes this.
  3. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

LOL, I hear you!
    Local weather is very unpredictable, with Ohio River valley in play, it tends to trap bad air and moisture, so depending on temps that weekend it really could be anything!
    For what to do, you all will be hopefully pleasantly surprised. Cincinnati/N. Kentucky (NKY) area is very afforadble, and has been experiencing an amazing craft beer and food boom over the last 5+ years. If you are staying anywhere near downtown or along the river, you will be minutes from the convention center, downtown, riverfront and fun on both sides of the river.
    OTR (Over-The-Rhine) area is adjacent to downtown and is full of great food and entertainment. Here is a decent overview of stuff to do there - https://www.urbanadventures.com/blog/neighbourhood-locals-guide-rhine-cincinnati.html
    I would definitely get some Holtman's donughts, and grab a brew at Rhinegheist (OTR) (about a mile north from downtown) or Braxton Brewery (Covington, NKY, about 2 miles south, in NKY). Both of these are excellent breweries, and you can bring in outside food as well, or order stuff delivered to the brewery. In addition, Bircus Brewery is in Ludlow (~2 miles) and may even has an acrobatic circus show going on depending on a night.
    Additionally, if you're looking for harder stuff, New Riff Distillery is in Newport, KY (~3 miles) and Second Sight Spirits is below our club, ~2 miles form downtown.
    Fountain Square is downtown, ice skating, vendors , etc..Cincinnati Museum Center just reopened after a major restoration, probly 3-4 miles from downtown, and the Zoo is always a great visit as well.
    See you all in the Queen City soon!!

I will start a new thread with this info in discussion forum :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018