US Fencing Dec NAC - Entrance PSA

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ladyofshalott99, Dec 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

Throwing this out there for anyone not here yet: The only doors that are consistently open at the venue are the main doors at the corner of 5th and Elm. All other doors were locked when I walked over from my hotel on Thursday afternoon.

YMMV with the skywalks and parking garage entrances, but the latter have a lot of stairs, so those with wheelie bags are best served using the 5th and Elm entrance if nothing else.

Also, Member Services will be staffed from 6:15am on, for everyone who needs to go through 11tybillion steps to pull up their Membership Cards on their smartphones.

ReadyFence likes this.
  2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Black card in d2 women's saber today. Story?

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Ineresting, I've been coming and going all morning without the yellow entry band. I'll probably get one just to be legal. Maybe it's the rain.

4. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

I've been looking for you using your picture. Must have missed you. I'm wearing the yellow band around my neck

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah, I came in for the first time and they were looking for the wristband. Went out again 20 minutes later and forgot the wristband, came back in without it. The Doormasters were busy talking to each other. Walked right in.

Of course the fencing whites probably allayed any suspicion, but so much for the "enhanced security presence".

6. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Started to walk in this evening, was stopped at the door by venue staff for a wristband. Was pointed to a table 10 feet away with wristbands scattered all over it. Picked one up and was let in.

Not enough eye rolls in the world...

7. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

Unsportsmanlike conduct - throwing mask after losing tough bout, but followed immediately by apology to ref and remorse from what I heard.

8. GRScott

GRScott Rookie

Curious how much USFA actually collected - hopefully enough to cover the cost of the wristbands.

hello? and InFerrumVeritas like this.
  9. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

So in October, i had a chance for a brief chat with some NO people about the new rules... Seems like even though we don't necessarily see the value in the extra security measures, they've been seeing a drastic drop in thefts since instituting the wrist bands and fees to enter. i might not like the idea of it, but i like that it's apparently serving a real purpose.

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Assuming that the assessment is (a) accurate and (b) generalizeable.

Given how much trouble US Fencing has had with gathering and using other sorts of data I am withholding judgement.

hello? likes this.
  11. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Yes, I am wondering why this high theft rate wasn’t talked about among fencers and parents...

12. Peach

Peach Podium

I assumed it was the theft rate - have had friends whose wallets were stolen at different venues.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I fail to see how wristbands would deter thefts anyway.

As for the Doorkeepers, they don't check bags or what you are carrying, not going in, not going out. What security against larceny inside the venue does checking for wristbands provide?

Do I detect the aroma of a non causa pro causa?

14. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

If this is true why hasn't the NO let us know and requested that people take precautions and keep an eye out. To me this is just another example of the NO failing to be transparent in dealing with the membership. Assuming the victims notified our officials and notice was made of the loss, then they have been seriously remiss in not making the membership aware. This Dec NAC I found a man's wallet in the stands at the finals strip. Turned it in to the bout committee table and waited around until I saw and heard an announcement for him to come to the bout committee area. Think his name was David Lee Drake? One of the fellows from SoCal said they knew him but it contained his driver's license and I knew he wasn't getting home without it to board a plane.

Another aside is that the lost and found items were all on a table on the way in/out. But as one young woman examining them and querying how do you tell body cords apart? Think I'd also like to have some way to mark my name on items like body cords. No they're not much but a Negrini is USD $50.+ and even a cheapie is $10.+.

15. Zebra

Zebra Podium

A unique color or pattern of tape (see example to your left)

16. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

In the past, I have painted a bit of the body or mask cord with a bit of nail,polish in an unusual color, easy to spot.

But the botttom line is that I don’t believe the requirement had anything to do with safety, and has done nothing to curb a non-existent problem. If theft were a big problem, fencers and parents would be ALL OVER THE NO. Our membership are not quiet wallflowers, and they would be screaming on social media, message boards, and at tournaments. And yet, I have heard/seen/read nada. Hell, I know folks personally who forget something at a NAC and find it is in the same place they left it two days later. And yes, personal info/money/etc still in bag...

17. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

So what more should members need to be made aware that leaving their crap all over a venue in open bags or in random spots on chairs or whatever is a bad idea?? At Nationals, I was working the lost and found when a guy came up to inquire about a brown paper bag with random stuff "and an ipad" that he had left sitting on the floor near one of the semi final strips and had walked away... but when he came back it was gone. He later found the brown paper bag, but not the ipad. Go figure.

We all know of fencers or other people who have lost stuff at tournaments. And the theft isn't limited to fencing equipment, those are usually stolen by other, less scrupulous, fencers. But when a venue opens up in the downtown of any city, and there are no paid admission requirements, can't you just imagine the excitement of local pick-pockets, thieves and the like who realize that they can rummage and pillage through thousands of distracted attendees worth of stuff ad hoc without any overhead or fear of security?

Do you also need the NO to tell you to wash your hands after using the bathroom or after shaking someone's hand who's been coughing?

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I dunno...I've been going to NACs without "paid admission requirements" for 30 years...where have the "pickpockets, thieves and the like" been? If they have twigged to the opportunities by this time they are either really slow on the uptake or they are just not interested.

Some coincidence that this is suddenly a problem and the NO has had a "more revenue" idea.

19. jkormann

jkormann Podium

And what's to stop a "bad person" from paying $10 entrance to make a $200 profit.

20. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Well, to be perfectly blunt, just because you haven't noticed them means exactly crap. Unless you're trained to notice thieves and pickpockets wandering around, which i doubt, their entire job is to avoid your scrutiny. If you've never been stolen from, congratulations. Neither have I. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you want to know personally for certain, why don't you stop by the registration desk and have a nice chat with Christine or Bob or any of the others who actually make these decisions like I did and find out for yourself.