Dearth of fencing in the summer?

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by Black Widow, Jul 7, 2017.

1. tsbphd

tsbphd Rookie

The club I attend in RI has summer hours for both adults and kids and is open late into the evening on most nights, as well. It stays fairly active all year round.

2. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Summer might be a good time to get out of your usual routine. For kids, it might be doing a different sport or activity. The American Development Model (a USOC program) recommends that elementary schoolers and young teens not do just one sport year-round. ADM posters from USA Hockey show national team members playing golf or practicing ballet. They also have a great "summer vacation" poster (http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0064/2348/Summer_Vacation_horizontal.pdf) with a checklist that is only part hockey.

For more advanced fencers and adults, summer might be a good time to fence a little with a different weapon. Chatting with a fencer after a recent tournament, he told me that he made it to the final, but lost there. He added (insightfully) that he wasn't as quick to adjust as he needed to be. I replied: "What you need is to spend a week over the holidays fencing saber!" And later I made the suggestion to his coach as well, so the coach would blame me instead of his fencer for the warped idea.

3. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Same. Other than a two-week club closing around Summer Nationals, my club's schedule seems largely unchanged through the summer.