Controlling the Size of my Actions

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by AnonymousMooCow, Apr 9, 2019.

1. AnonymousMooCow

AnonymousMooCow Rookie

Hey there everybody. So...my actions when I'm fencing (I fence sabre) are ridiculously big. When I'm practicing footwork (which I do often), etc my form is actually pretty good (or so I've been told), but when I'm actually fencing somebody it all falls apart. When I'm on the strip my body just doesn't want to do small actions no matter how hard I try. Does anybody else have this problem? Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

2. garyhayenga

garyhayenga DE Bracket

Yes, pretty much everyone has this problem. The only thing I have found to help it is taking lessons or doing drills with someone who can give you immediate feedback on when you start to get big. As you make the drills more and more bout-like and your focus shifts the actions start to get bigger. When this happens you immediately simplify the drill until you can do it with consistently small actions, and then add complexity until you reach the problem stage again.

3. Martingale

Martingale Rookie

When you are fencing in club, are you fencing for the hit or trying to practice what you have learnt in drills and lessons?
    A focus on always getting the hit, even in practice bouting tends to be very limiting. If you ignore the score and focus on controlling your actions and doing actions correctly at the right time and the right distance even as your opponent is making things difficult for you, you will improve.
    Your query suggests that you may be new to fencing so there are some old bits of advice.

Try to fence well using what you practiced and try to score a 'good' hit in each bout against every opponent rather than focus on winning. If the local champion is beating you 4-0, they might relax, that is an opportunity for a perfectly timed, well performed action to succeed. You won't win the bout but you will score a good hit on a good fencer. Take the buzz where you find. You have control of yourself, so focus on what you can control. When you usually get three 'good' hits in a bout, you usually win.

There are no magic hits in fencing, for every action, there are always several possible responses. Work on your repertoire, which means practice, you do not want to depend on a single action. It is limiting and boring.

Most importantly, have fun.

4. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Are you taking lessons?
    If you are trying to score, or to defend yourself, there's a panicky overreaction that kicks in. Practicing correct blade actions in blade drills or lessons will help. I don't see how practicing blade actions with fottwork in the absence of an opponent will help you.

5. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

Work on your timing.
    Large actions are often a sign that you're doing them at the wrong time. The size of the movement comes from you trying to catch up to the movement you're trying to do.

Think less about specific technical solutions more about doing the right thing at the right time. There's always a place for pure technique but your coach needs to help you understand what technique means and when to do things.