CONFIRMED: Kaidanov out at Penn State

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Craig, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I received this rumor yesterday (but from a good source) that Emmanuil Kaidanov is going to be stepping down as Penn State's fencing coach.

Whether this is his choice to retire, or something forcing the move is unknown.

Kaidanov has been coaching at Penn State for 31 years and holds an amazing win record over his time over the men's and women's fencing programs at PSU.

Who is to take over is also up in the air. The same rumors report that Wes Glon will not be promoted to the head coaching position, but there was no definite name thrown about as to who would be taking the reigns.

Kaidanov's bio at PSU: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-fenc/mtt/kaidanov_emmanuilg00.html

2. MockTundra

MockTundra Rookie

Any idea at all when a press release might be made about this?

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I can't recall the last time I heard a rumor, and -- included with it -- was the timing of the press release to confirm or deny the rumor.

Am I just not on the correct social media sites?

4. MockTundra

MockTundra Rookie

My apologies for asking. I just figured since the semester is starting up next week, there may have been some mention from the "source" about when the university might publicly explain why the head coach disappeared.

5. fdad

fdad Podium

I heard a rumor (I read this message aloud), that I am in the process of starting, that there will be a press release (can't say what it will say) within the month (which month I can't be sure).

EDIT: Recent events lead me to believe that Kris Ekeren will be named head coach of PennSt.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

(laughing) No apologies are necessary, of course. But I will point out that he hasn't disappeared yet, so there isn't really anything to explain (or put a press release out for). See, that's why it's rumor.

Of course, on the other hand, this is the internet, and things work very differently here.

For example, in "real life", I'm funny.

7. indypacers

indypacers Made the Cut

Interesting it might be time for a major shift at the top for several programs where you have coaches entrenched for a number of years. Things might be a little different at PSU since they have a considerable budget for fencing and a mandate to win, unlike many of the other programs. Who knows it might be time for a new American coaching sensation to come on board and set the table and direction for American collegiate fencing. PSU would be a perfect place to start for sure, high profile program.

8. piste off

piste off Podium

I heard speculation from a very good source based on solid reasoning that this was happening, but from the details (if true) it could be he will remain through this season. That would explain the lack of a press release. Then again, so could the rumor being false.

9. Damien Lehfeldt

Damien Lehfeldt Made the Cut

The rumor is true and he will not remain through this season.

10. prototoast

prototoast Podium

Was there an "incident" that triggered all of this? Seems like odd timing, though perhaps long overdue.

11. edew

edew Podium

Notice that you've never seen Emik and Steve Ballmer at the same time?

12. Damien Lehfeldt

No one knows why. Yet. Long overdue, you say? I suppose the Patriots ought to fire Bill Bellichick for only getting them to the Super Bowl twice since 2007.

13. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Before my time but my understanding is that a step down of an entrenched coach at Cal was when the Univ. decided to down rate the fencing program from NCAA to club status. My point being that the old coach had the political traction to keep the NCAA membership. No idea if this is at all analogous to PSU but not all shifts are beneficial.

14. MdA

MdA Rookie

If that's true then we know that anyone at PSU remotely involved in fencing will have a background check.

CF360 reports Big News should be coming from PSU soon.

15. prototoast

prototoast Podium

I believe that per their agreements post-Sandusky, Penn State is not allowed* to cut any of their other sports for a few more years.

*or risk further, immensely costly sanctions on their football program

16. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

CF360 was unaware of the happenings at Penn State. My paraphrase of his posting is "By now you've heard that Emik is out at Penn State. We will tweet more information as it becomes available publicly."

17. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Why would Wes Glon not be offered the position, I wonder? Age? Or is there a foil coach who's the new flavor of the month?

18. hello?

hello? Podium

Rumor has it that all the assistant coaches will share duties. Of course, when no concrete reason is given for a departure such as this, rumor runs rampant. Who knows what we will come up with collectively before what really happened is known!

19. nahouw

nahouw Podium

Odd timing a week after Miles wins World Championship...

20. Damien Lehfeldt

Not really.