Compression Shorts

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by magic_moose, Sep 1, 2009.

1. magic_moose

magic_moose Podium

My orthopedist has told me to go get some compression shorts to support my hamstrings.

It looks to me like some are longer, some are stretchier, some are more "ventilating" ......

So, anyone have any recommendations? (not that anyone on this forum would have an opinion about anything :) )

And which is more comfortable, the type that has a place for a cup or just wearing a cup underneath? (NO NO NO! This is not a thread to debate the virtues of wearing or not wearing a cup! Don't even think of drifting this off in that direction or the forum daemons will cause you some sort of horrible misery, I am sure! )

Fencergrl likes this.
  2. chinbeard

chinbeard Rookie

The basic Under Armour (or their WalMart clones) work just fine. I bought a pair of Franklin compression shorts with the cup pocket, and was very disappointed. They're probably OK for baseball, where your boys are only facing a frontal attack, but they don't anchor the cup well.

magic_moose likes this.
  3. piste off

piste off Podium

Under Armour works well, and it is better IMO to have the place for the cup rather than underneath.

Here is another good option (check the website as they have quite a selection):

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/basix-double-layer-thigh-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

R-

magic_moose likes this.
  4. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

I would think the cup in your shorts would not only protect you, but keep the tea warm.... however the tea saucer may look a little funny. :mutant:

Lady Quindecim and magic_moose like this.
  5. piste off

piste off Podium

Seems like an idea for a "unique" a plate spinning act!

;)

R-

6. parrythis

parrythis Podium

A few months back I picked up some compression shorts that have the place for the cup built in. They are quite a bit more comfortable than the boxers that have the cup built in.

That was my first impression as well, but I went down a size on the shorts and the cup fits more snugly, but not as snugly as the boxers with the cup built in. While your point is very valid, I am cautiously optimistic.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Fencergrl and magic_moose like this.
  7. fencerbill

fencerbill Podium

I have a pair of these. The shorts are good but I am not happy with the cup. Although I haven't tried an alternative cup yet. The cup has a soft absorbent rubber rim and takes about three minutes to get into the pocket of the shorts. And then the front of my uniform looks like I am 20 years old again and viewing a room full of naked nubile lassies. Only had them a few months and haven't withstood a direct attack yet so don't know whether that much protection has been worthwhile.

Fencergrl likes this.
  8. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

This is a lie you were never 20 years old.

9. fencerbill

fencerbill Podium

Not in the last 50 years.

10. Timberwolf_CY

Timberwolf_CY Rookie

Can't comment on the cup stuff (don't wear one...yet), but the generic Walmart "compression shorts" have been great. I've had one pair for almost 4 years (STILL CLEAN! ALWAYS WASH!) and they're only now starting to wear out; the other pair I have is a sort of psuedo-name brand knock-off that are slightly looser that while more comfortable don't quite have the same support. The Walmart generics you should be able to find easily in the men's clothing section, near the underwear, socks and undershirts; anything else compression will be in the sports section (just more overpriced with packaging; the Walmart generics are just on hangers). Mine breathe great and have helped out my hams and quads a TON! They are amazing. I also have a matching pair of "compression shirts" that are long-sleeve that are pretty nice too, but they're more for keeping the sweat off me and helping keep cool than anything else. I cut off my off-hand sleeve and left on the weapon-arm sleeve, so I basically added a third [thin] layer of padding that's barely noticeable; this sleeve is also under the body-cord, so if you have "sticky" body cords (like the Faveros) or they're just annoying to you, this can help really eliminate that feeling. Of course the off-hand sleeve I cut off just because it wasn't needed really, and would have only hindered breathing/etc. (even if just slightly)

magic_moose likes this.
  11. chris437

chris437 Rookie

I use a cup separate from my compression shorts and have had no problems with it. I found the compression shorts in the sporting goods section at Kmart and they work fine for me. I couldn't tell you if using compression shorts with the included cup is more comfortable or not as I have never worn this kind.

magic_moose likes this.
  12. Beloit Fencer of Old

Beloit Fencer of Old Rookie

I must second the Wal Mart clones. I own six pair of the Wal Marts, and two "Everlast." The Wal Marts are better.

13. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

I have Necro'd a few posts in my time but this is a big level act. I am not sure if old B.F. is asking for a recommendation to buy or sell. The link at the bottom seems to be a advert to sell.

How is Fencing.Nets captcha? Are people setting up account and then applying bots?

14. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

A lot of modern successful spamming is a mixture of automated posting, and real people solving captchas. What you don't see is the tons of stuff that gets successfully caught; only a few slide through.