Colored Leon Paul Masks?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by sorindc, Jan 19, 2019.

1. sorindc

sorindc Rookie

I am interested in getting a new mask, and having been disappointed with the quality and quality control on products from places like absolute, I'm thinking of going with Leon Paul this time (specifically the X-Change foil mask). I wanted to get one in the color of my club, and have seen masks in colors like green and pink, but the only colors I can see on the website are red, white, and blue. Does anyone know where I can get any other colors of mask? Thanks.

2. cathy a former fencer

cathy a former fencer Made the Cut

I know I'm retired from fencing but I find that masks with flags and other colors are really sophomoric. Even watching a bout with 2 people emblazoned in red/white/blue is sort of embarrassing. Shd be able to fence with a number tagged to your back as in running. And keep the plain old dark black mesh masks. If marathon officials can keep track of 5000 runners by number fencing officials shd be able to do the same. Imo

3. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

It’s not about the officials. It’s about people watching. Painted masks look cool plain and simple. And they’re fun for the fencer too. Let people have some fun.

4. cathy a former fencer

cathy a former fencer Made the Cut

Have fun in the water cooler!

5. NnamAries

NnamAries Rookie

You can check out Aliexpress. They sell quality fencing equipment and i think you can order online too if you wish.
    Try choosing a choosing a cool color that will bring out the warrior in you cus that's what fencing is all about.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I think you meant simple-minded. :)

One thing that I can applaud is that colored lames seems to have fallen out of favor. Silver, uh, linings.

7. EldRick

EldRick Podium

It is easy to mask and spray-paint a mask with Krylon in any color they offer. I'd recommend only spraying the outside, and spraying several light coats, to leave the inside of the mask black for best visibility.

8. AndI

AndI Made the Cut

Three things.
    1. Leon Paul colored masks are black on the inside and white, blue, or red on the outside. How they make it so that paint does not spill from outside to the inside or the other way around feels like a miracle. From the inside, you see only black, no hint of color. From the outside, you would never guess that it is black on the inside. This is done for a reason: black suppresses light reflections.

2. White mask looks stylish, like in a James Bond movie. White mask fits well the white uniform. Both other LP colors (red and blue) look dull, the color is not bright at all, not nearly as bright as they appear in pictures. Maybe this is because they paint the mesh, while openings in the mesh which cover half or more of the total area of the mesh look dark from the outside - so the color with which the mask was painted gets mixed with some blacks and becomes muddy. This is just my guess, I cannot come up with other explanation why LP's red and blue masks have such dull, muddy shades of red and blue.

Masks painted with flags, etc., that I saw look not too exciting, they clearly convey a message and stand out, but somehow seem to lack style, if for no other reason then because it feels like a little too much. Maybe it is just my opinion.

3. Leon Paul has a video in which they explain how to paint a mask.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    iktovian likes this.
  9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Ironic that you should say that, because Leon Paul masks WERE used in a Bond movie a few years back (don't remember if they mesh was white or black however)

10. sorindc

sorindc Rookie

[QUOTE="NnamAries, post:You can check out Aliexpress. They sell quality fencing equipment and i think you can order online too if you wish.
    Try choosing a choosing a cool color that will bring out the warrior in you cus that's what fencing is all about.[/QUOTE]
    I was looking specifically for Leon Paul, given that in the past I've been disappointed with cheap equipment and I think I should play it safe and it would be worth it to invest the extra money.

11. sorindc

sorindc Rookie

The ones that I saw that were not red, white or blue were not painted at home, I think. The lettering on the side seemed to indicate that they were made and painted by leon paul, so were can I get these ones that aren't red, white, or blue?

12. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

If you want a Leon Paul product, try contacting Leon Paul directly. Here's the contact link for Leon Paul USA (the USA distributor): https://www.leonpaulusa.com/leon-paul-contact-us. I'm sure there's something similar for Leon Paul in other countries.

Gav likes this.
  13. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

A conversation I had today.

Gav can you fix this computer?
    Sure.
    Good weekend?
    Yeah, I photographed a fencing event. Got a load of work to-do tonight though.
    Oh, didn't realise you did either of those things.
    Yeah take a look at my insta.
    flip, flip, flip - oh cool! Those flag painted fencing masks are eye catching! Never expected fencing to look modern, thought you guys were still relegated to old Victorian halls.

It's clear we have a long way to go kill off our fusty image.

jdude97 likes this.
  14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And it's an unnecessary trip.

15. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Yea. Those kids ruined fencing when they started using electric scoring instead of three little ink dots. :cool:

16. Pt_fencer

Pt_fencer Made the Cut

I was looking specifically for Leon Paul, given that in the past I've been disappointed with cheap equipment and I think I should play it safe and it would be worth it to invest the extra money.[/QUOTE]
    Use the Leon Paul sale email to ask for the painting I have a friend that did it