Coaching High School

Discussion in 'Coaching Corner' started by Kennatio, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Kennatio

Kennatio Rookie

What are some good weight room and non weight room exercises for building strength and endurance in kids who aren't used to being in sports? Also, how does one increase the speed of lunges, advances, and retreats. I couldn't find the right thread for this, so if I'm overlapping on something, let me know. Thanks!

2. tbryan

tbryan Podium

When you say "kids," what age range do you have in mind?
    Edit: I just noticed that the title references "high school."

Your second question is a little unclear to me. Do you think that all of your students have generally slow footwork? Or do you have a particular student whose footwork is slower than his teammates? How are you judging thet speed of footwork? Is it just slower than you'd like, or is something happening in competition that leads you to think that footwork *speed* is the problem?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Personal opinion based on my own training - if your students haven't trained for any sports, then I think that any "general fitness" routine is a good start. Either a general "circuit" in the weight room and some cardio training, or maybe a beginner's HIIT workout. If your weight room does not include machines for working the core, add some exercises, such as planks, to work the core. None of that is fencing-specific, but it will lay some foundation for further training. It also gets them comfortable with going to a weight room and thinking of themselves as athletes.

If they're able to maintain that for a few months, you could look at a more fencing-specific workout: https://www.fencing.net/3230/weight-training-for-the-competitive-fencer/.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Although problematic in this Safe Sport era, pushing a fencer's front heel forward and on the rear knee aid the fencer's speed and lunge length. Perhaps using a blade instead of your hand avoids accusations.