Cleaning corrosion from nickel lame

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Tad Salyards, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Tad Salyards

Tad Salyards Rookie

I've recently moved to Ireland and started fencing again after a three year break. My lightly used super duty foil lame from Triplette came with me and I just noticed some very minor corrosion (green discoloration) around the back of the collar. The lame is in excellent shape otherwise and I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for cleaning off the green bits? Apparently these lames are woven from nickel. I'm worried that an armorer will test it in those specific areas and that it might not pass.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all!

-Tad

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

In a large sink or bathtub, submerge lame in Woolite and Windex solution. Lightly scrub with teflon pan-appropriate nylon scrubber. Soak for 15-20 minutes. Rinse under showerhead until water run-off is clear. Hang on plastic hanger. Carry on plastic hanger never folding. Rinse in cool water for just long enough to pat it down, after every use. The lame will eventually wear out your jacket's weapon arm where the two contact.

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Adding to the above- you don’t need much! A capful of windex and a capful of woolite is plenty for a full sink of water. And I don’t generally scrub lames, it seems to shorten their life span.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

You could try Whink rust stain remover (or whatever equivalent is available in Ireland) to see if it does anything about the green staining of the backing fabric, but there's a good chance you won't be able to get the green out even with the cleaning approaches given above. As long as the conductivity in the stained areas checks out to under 5 Ohms on a meter you'll be fine.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I haven't tried it on a nickel lame, but on the copper ones coal tar shampoo will get the green out. Put it directly on the affected area, rub gently to a lather with your fingers, leave it for a couple of minutes, rinse. I usually do it in the shower, killing 2 birds with one stone by rinsing both the lame and myself simultaneously.

6. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

water and clear ammonia
    The green on the lame is the result of your salt and body fluids turning the metal in the lame a different color (green)
    Ammonia eats body fluids and salt like pac-man and does not effect the metal or polyester in any way.
    If you want to know the recipe, let me know.

Gary Spruill

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

OK, guess Tad really did not want to know the answer?
    Know this is me and not the rest of the armory section folks, I am going to start looking at the "how many" posts someone has before taking on a question posed, thinking it through, and spending time to help them figure something out. There are just too many of the 1st post or 2nd post folks that come to this board, pose a question and never return. I am ranting, I know it, to my friends, sorry, but this just chaps my backside at times. Why do they even bother?

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Maybe they got what they wanted and are satisfied, but don't want to mess around on a message board afterward. ( Particularly, if you ask some people, this message board. )

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  9. Tad Salyards

Tad Salyards Rookie

Thank you for all of the suggestions. For whatever reason the email notifications went into my spam folder so I didn't see all of the helpful posts. Much appreciated.