chest protector rules of use

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by fatfencer, Mar 5, 2006.

1. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

According to the rulebooks or published rulings of the USFA where is the mens chest protector supposed to be worn?

I have heard many folks that it has to be as close to the skin as possible...that a t-shirt is acceptable but no more. Other refs say under the jacket.

Having it under the plastron makes sense as that added layer of cloth really helps not skivving off so much.. almost to the point where even I wouldn't ***** about people wearing them.

At summer nationals I heard from several refs that it had to be under the plastron.

Can anyone clarify with a passage from any USFA text?

2. downunder

downunder Podium

Mens has to be against the skin, womens can be over a sports bra etc.

Its not in the rules, let alone the usfa ones, its in one of the FIE letters from last year.

3. fencerX

fencerX Rookie

The USFA only requires foilists to wear any protector under the jacket. The USFA does NOT require chest protectors to be worn under the plastron.

http://www.fencingofficials.org

Chest Protectors at World Cup competitions:

The Executive Committee of the FIE has issued a ruling regarding the use of chest protectors for Foil for World Cup and World Championship competition:

" The use of breast/chest protectors (made of metal or some rigid material) is compulsory for women and optional for men. In foil, this breast/chest protector must be worn below the protective plastron "

Chest Protectors at USFA competitions:

The Executive Committee of the USFA has issued a ruling regarding the use of chest protectors for Foil for USFA competition:

"Breast protectors/chest protection : The use of breast protectors/chest protection in Foil is authorized for Men and Women providing that they are worn under the fencing jacket. Urgent decision. Immediate application."

4. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

How absolutely retarded can they be? It's like they enjoy watching people spend their hard earned money cheating or something.

I'm woefully ashamed of them:darwin: They've managed to ruin foil and turn it in to something petty and shitty.

Fatfencer

The sad part is that they went AGAINST the FIE and its clear they know much more about fencing. They were smart enough to tell fencers to wear it under the most layers of fabric.

5. swordsen

swordsen Rookie

Interesting. I saw one fellow in Florida last week who quite obviously had it glued to the inside of his lame. (the wrinkles were fixed in place)
    Didn't seem to help him any though.

6. kalivor

kalivor Podium

Actually, this was changed (and put into the rulebook) at the FIE congress: It is no longer required to be against the skin, but must be worn beneath the sousplastron at foil (for both men and women).

7. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Rookie

Not true - women and girls should ALWAYS where protectors... :rolleyes:

There are good reasons why chest protectors have not be banned for men either... although, in a serious foil competition, you would not be allwed to get away with wearing one (the FIE has cleverly ensure that comes down to "peer pressure" and not their rules... so at least the FIE can't be sued following any nasty accidents... :rolleyes: )

Boo

8. downunder

downunder Podium

ah ok, must have missed that one.

Damn copy of escrime hasn't turned up yet, apparantly thats got a good summary of the changes.

9. OROD

OROD Podium

That was such a stupid rule to begin with... it never stops amazing me how dumb people can be.

10. fencerX

fencerX Rookie